[News] GNU/Linux Under Attack by Monopolysoft in Spain

  • Subject: [News] GNU/Linux Under Attack by Monopolysoft in Spain
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 00:57:35 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Microsoft Encroaching on Spanish Schools... Again

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft had lost the single Windows
| booting option in school computers in
| Spain some time ago. But now they are
| getting back: The Spanish Government
| announced in a surprising move that an
| agreement with Microsoft has been signed
| to give out laptops to primary
| schoolchildren next year.
|
| This goes waaaaay back. We have reported
| about the interest Microsoft has in
| installing its operating system on as many
| schoolchildrens' laptops as possible here,
| here and here.
|
| Having lost the single Windows booting
| option in all regions in Spain and having
| been ditched in most regions where single
| boot machines with GNU/Linux over the
| proposed dual Window/Linux booting is
| prefered, the people from Redmond have
| decided to move business into the place
| where things usually work out best for
| them: the back room.
|
| [...]
|
| Jose MarÃa Lancho, president of
| HispaLinux, has stated to PÃblico
| newspaper that the agreement "puts free
| competition in jeopardy" and reminded the
| minister that the agreement breaks the law
| on several counts, including article 49 of
| the law for Public Sector Contracts that
| forbids hiring companies which "have been
| fined due to serious infringements with
| regards to market discipline matters" -
| Microsoft has been fined several times in
| Europe for those exact same reason.
`----

http://www.linuxpromagazine.com/Online/News/Microsoft-Encroaching-on-Spanish-Schools-Again

Recent:

ES: CIO Extremadura 'open source key to development'

,----[ Quote ]
| The use of open source software is fundamental
| to a sustainable and technologically
| independent development, says Rafael MartÃn
| Espada, Director General of ICT, regional
| government of Extremadura.
`----

http://www.osor.eu/news/es-cio-extremadura-open-source-key-to-development

Students line up for new free software master at open universities

,----[ Quote ]
| Two of Europe's open universities, the
| Universitat Oberta de Catalunya in Spain and
| Open Universiteit in the Netherlands, are
| about to start the first courses of what
| will become a Master programme on free and
| open source software and open standards, The
| Free Technology Academy (FTA). The program
| could prove popular, the number of early
| registrations shows.
`----

http://www.osor.eu/news/students-line-up-for-new-free-software-master-at-open-universities

Workshop on open source software in embedded systems, Madrid, Spain

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://cordis.europa.eu/fetch?CALLER=EN_NEWS&ACTION=D&SESSION=&RCN=31384