[News] Intellectual Monopolists Contradicted by Fact, Use Taxpayers' Money to Fight Taxpayer

  • Subject: [News] Intellectual Monopolists Contradicted by Fact, Use Taxpayers' Money to Fight Taxpayer
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 15:50:14 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

More Charts The Record Labels Don't Want You To See: Swedish Musicians Making More Money

,----[ Quote ]
| We've already discussed the research on the
| UK music industry that shows both that live
| revenue is more than making up the decline
| in recorded revenue and that musicians
| themselves are making more revenue than
| ever before. Some people have suggested
| that this is a UK-only phenomenon, but a
| worldwide study found the same thing as
| well. And, now it looks like the same is
| being found in Sweden as well -- home of
| The Pirate Bay, which we keep being told is
| destroying the industry. Swedish indie
| record label owner Martin sends in the news
| on data from the Swedish music industry,
| which looks quite similar to the UK data.
| First, it shows that while there was a tiny
| dip in overall revenue, it's back up to
| being close to it's high, mostly because of
| a big growth in live music...
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20091213/1648377324.shtml

MySpace/Imeem Deal Leaves Thousands of Artists Unpaid

,----[ Quote ]
| Independent artists who sold their music
| through imeemâs Snocap music storefronts on
| MySpace and other sites wonât be paid
| whatâs owed even after MySpace Musicâs
| acquisition of some â but not all â of
| imeem, Wired.com has learned.
`----

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2009/12/myspace-imeem-deal/

US Congress earmarks $30m for anti-piracy fight

,----[ Quote ]
| Hollywood's top lobbyist, MPAA chief
| executive Dan Glickman, also praised the
| success of a six-day Yuletide sting against
| counterfeit DVDs and CDs called "Operation
| Holiday Hoax."
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/12/14/congress_earmarks_30m_ip_crime/

Recent: