[News] Free Software So Mainstream That Microsoft Cannot Help Infringing the GPL

  • Subject: [News] Free Software So Mainstream That Microsoft Cannot Help Infringing the GPL
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 15:52:37 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

- From the White House to (no kidding) Microsoft, open source shined in '09

,----[ Quote ]
| Perhaps the most shocking event was
| Microsoft's submission of code for inclusion
| in the Linux kernel under a GPL license that
| Microsoft once tagged as a threat to
| capitalism itself. But it was not so much an
| olive branch as it was a brain freeze:
| Microsoft had inadvertently included some
| open source code in the virtualization
| drivers it eventually submitted for the Linux
| kernel and was more or less left with little
| choice.
|
| Microsoft ended up in that same spot later in
| the year when a tool it released to create
| bootable USB drives for Windows 7 also was
| found to contain open source code. That tool
| also was pushed into the open source
| community.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2009/121409-outlook-open-source.html

Recent:

The Anatomy of a Modern GPL Violation

,----[ Quote ]
| I've been thinking the last few weeks
| about the evolution of the GPL violation.
| After ten years of being involved with GPL
| enforcement, it seems like a good time to
| think about how things have changed.
|
| Roughly, the typical GPL violation tracks
| almost directly the adoption and spread of
| Free Software. When I started finding GPL
| violations, it was in a day when Big Iron
| Unix was still king (although it was only
| a few years away from collapse), and the
| GNU tools were just becoming state of the
| art. Indeed, as a sysadmin, I typically
| took a proprietary Unix system, and built
| a /usr/local/ filled with the GNU tools,
| because I hated POSIX tools that didn't
| have all the GNU extensions.
`----

http://ebb.org/bkuhn/blog/2009/12/06/anatomy-gpl-violation.html

Barnes & Noble's GPL fun

,----[ Quote ]
| Barnes and Noble's new nook ebook reader
| is now shipping to people. Mine[1] is due
| to turn up tomorrow, but the instruction
| manual is available for download
| already.
`----

http://mjg59.livejournal.com/119028.html

Episode 0x1C: Sun, Oracle and the European Union

,----[ Quote ]
| Karen and Bradley discuss Eben Moglen's
| letter to the European Commission
| regarding the Oracle acquisition of Sun.
`----

http://www.softwarefreedom.org/podcast/2009/dec/08/0x1C/

Palm Sued Over PDF Technology Dispute

http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/6679/palm-sued-over-pdf-technology-dispute/

Monty Program AB's Suggestion to EU Commission to Get Rid of the GPL on MySQL

,----[ Quote ]
| I will now share with you a small section of
| the Monty Program AB's submission to the EU
| Commission, including its suggestion to
| replace the GPL with a more proprietary-
| friendly license, specifically the Apache
| license.

Licenses are Not the Hard Part

,----[ Quote ]
| Even analysis of the GNU General Public
| License (GPL) is not the hard part. My actual
| experience with that license has been that
| the kinds of issues that have engaged (and
| entertained) lawyers (such as myself) through
| innumerable hours of legal discourse
| represent a small fraction of actual cases.
| In the main volume of GPL-related activity,
| attention is on the basics--like actually
| making the GPL-licensed source code available
| and otherwise getting the details right.
`----

https://fossbazaar.org/content/licenses-are-not-hart-part

The GPL Wins Again - Welte vs. Skype Technologies SA (Germany)

,----[ Quote ]
| Well, today was the hearing, and Welte reports that one of the judges told
| Skype's lawyer that if a copyright owner wants a publisher to publish his
| book in a green envelope, it might seem odd to the publisher, but he can't
| publish without the green envelope. In short, don't touch the GPL code if you
| don't follow the requirements of the license.
|
| Like it or lump it. I think that's how one would translate into English the
| judge's mindset.

Another GPL Lawsuit is Settled

,----[ Quote ]
| Third lawsuit over open source license violations is now closed. This time,
| it's a 'learning experience.'
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3732511/BusyBox+Settles+Another+GPL+Lawsuit.htm

BusyBox and Xterasys Settle GPL Lawsuit

,----[ Quote ]
| BusyBox has just successfully settled its GPL ligitation against Xterasys.
| Xterasys has agreed to stop all binary distribution of BusyBox until the
| Software Freedom Law Center confirms that it has published complete source
| code on its web site.

BusyBox Developers, SFLC Sue Verizon for GPL Infringement