[News] [Rival] Bill Gates Pays 'Journalists' to Glorify His Atrocious Abuses with Monsanto

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Bill Gates Pays 'Journalists' to Glorify His Atrocious Abuses with Monsanto
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 15:59:32 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Training on journalism advancing the interests of the Gates Foundation or the interests of Africans

,----[ Quote ]
| Why is 'training' for journalists always
| issue-based? AIDS, agriculture, etc. The
| Gates Foundation wants to advance its own
| agenda. Why not fund an panAfrican school
| of journalism? Or five or six regional
| African schools of journalism? Africans can
| run their own schools of journalism.
`----

http://gateskeepers.civiblog.org/blog/_archives/2009/12/14/4404381.html

Filling a Need for African-Based Reporting on Agriculture

,----[ Quote ]
| But there are efforts underway to increase
| reporting about Africa from Africans. The
| International Center for Journalists
| received a $2 million grant, three-year
| grant in 2008 from the Bill & Melinda Gates
| Foundation to improve coverage of
| agriculture and health. They're placing
| journalists from the U.S. in four key
| African countries--Ghana, Malawi, Tanzania,
| and Senegal-- where they will lead projects
| with African journalists, helping them
| improve not only coverage, but the quality
| of the articles they're writing. The
| project will also help train "citizen
| journalist" stringers who can relay
| information from the village level via
| cellphones.
|
| And earlier this year, the Gates Foundation
| also awarded a two-year grant to the
| Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism to
| develop an intensive training program for
| African journalists to promote high-quality
| coverage of agricultural issues.
`----

http://www.mydd.com/story/2009/12/11/112817/24

Recent:

Monsoft or Microsanto?

,----[ Quote ]
| Amazingly, David Boies, the lawyer that
| led the attack on Microsoft during that
| investigation, is also invovled: he is
| representing Du Pont, one of Monsanto's
| rivals concerned about the latter's
| monopoly power.
|
| Let's just hope that Monsanto becomes the
| subject of a full anti-trust action, and
| that the result is more effective than
| that applied to Microsoft. After all,
| we're not talking about software here, but
| the world's food supply, and monopolies -
| both intellectual and otherwise - are
| simply morally indefensible when billions
| of lives are stake.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/12/monsoft-or-microsanto.html

AP INVESTIGATION: Monsanto seed biz role revealed

,----[ Quote ]
| Confidential contracts detailing Monsanto
| Co.'s business practices reveal how the
| world's biggest seed developer is
| squeezing competitors, controlling smaller
| seed companies and protecting its
| dominance over the multibillion-dollar
| market for genetically altered crops, an
| Associated Press investigation has found.
`----

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/AP-INVESTIGATION-Monsanto-apf-1335374142.html?x=0&sec=topStories&pos=2&asset=&ccode=

AP INVESTIGATION: Monsanto seed biz role revealed

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/feedarticle/8855598

How Monsanto owns and manipulates the world's food supply

,----[ Quote ]
| Steve Silberman sends us "A major AP
| expose of how Monsanto uses secret
| licensing agreements for its genetically
| manipulated crops to squeeze smaller seed
| companies, lock out competition, and keep
| food prices high.".
`----

http://www.boingboing.net/2009/12/13/how-monsanto-owns-an.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+boingboing%2FiBag+%28Boing+Boing%29

The Gates Foundationâs agriculture program: experimenting or floundering?

,----[ Quote ]
| Hereâs what we know about the Gates
| Foundationâs agriculture program:
|
|     * Gates believes itâs suggestive that
|     âApart from a few states and small, oil-
|     rich countries, no country has managed a
|     rapid rise from poverty without
|     increasing agricultural productivity. In
|     the poorest countries, agriculture
|     employs a majority of the people.â
|     * This isnât a new argument or an
|     undisputed one. See Peter Timmer on
|     Green Revolution âoptimistsâ vs.
|     âpessimistsâ.
|     * Gatesâs approach is âcomprehensive,â
|     targets âno single, simple solutionâ,
|     and includes farmer training/support,
|     irrigation initiatives, market access
|     initiatives, and funding of agricultural
|     research with a focus on gender
|     empowerment.
|     * This isnât a new approach or a
|     historically successful one. The World
|     Bank has focused on essentially the same
|     set of interventions recently, with
|     unclear results, and the previous
|     âholisticâ approach of âIntegrated Rural
|     Developmentâ is widely considered to
|     have failed. Details at our overview of
|     agriculture aid.
|
| In other words, the Gates Foundation
| approach â as described â appears to be
| neither a continuation of things that have
| worked before nor a fundamentally new
| approach to the problem. So what might be
| different this time around?
`----

http://blog.givewell.net/?p=437

Kenya: Gates Foundation and Monsanto to Develop Genetically
Modified Seeds for Small Farmers

,----[ Quote ]
| Many of the emotionally charged headlines
| that drive Africaâs food security debate
| are intricately connected to the critical
| and complex Kenyan seed industry: Kenya is
| the second largest seed consumer in sub-
| Saharan Africa, and a key driver of
| agricultural research on the continent. For
| decades, donors and private interests have
| been funneling millions of dollars into the
| Kenya Agricultural Research Institute
| (KARI), in an effort to develop new plant
| varieties that can repel pests, withstand
| disease and produce higher yields.
|
| KARI is now one of the main partners in a
| new programme funded by the Gates
| Foundation that will attempt to develop
| genetically modified (GM) maize that can
| withstand drought. The plan is to
| distribute the seeds to small farmers in
| Kenya, Mozambique, South Africa, Tanzania
| and Uganda. The technology is coming from
| Monsanto, the American corporate seed giant
| that does a lot of work for the Gates
| Foundation in Africa. Normally Monsantoâs
| patented seeds come at a high price, which
| has inspired an endless stream of vitriol
| from activists who accuse the company of
| exploiting poor farmers for obscene
| profits. This time, farmers will receive
| the seeds royalty free â indefinitely â as
| part of Gatesâ push for a âgreen
| revolutionâ in Africa.
`----

http://www.ratio-magazine.com/200911261425/Kenya/Kenya-Gates-Foundation-and-Monsanto-to-Develop-Genetically-Modified-Seeds-for-Small-Farmers.html

Kenya: Gates Foundation and Monsanto to develop GM seeds for small farmers

http://www.freshplaza.com/news_detail.asp?id=54698

Hunger, Hypocrisy And The U.N.

,----[ Quote ]
| This is hypocrisy of the vilest sort. In
| fact, U.N. agencies, programs and policies
| themselves have prevented farmers in the
| developing world from obtaining the tools
| they need to become more productive. That
| gets us back to Bill Gates and his big
| plans: His choice last year of former U.N.
| Secretary General Kofi Annan to head a new
| group intended to achieve a "green
| revolution" in African agriculture, the
| Alliance for a Green Revolution--established
| with an initial $150 million grant from the
| Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and the
| Rockefeller Foundation--was
| incomprehensible. If past performance is any
| indication, the only things likely to become
| greener are the numbered bank accounts of
| Annan and his cronies.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/2009/10/20/united-nations-bill-gates-world-hunger-opinions-contributors-henry-i-miller.html

Chinese copy of the Gates Foundation

,----[ Quote ]
| Monday the papers were all asplash with
| announcements that there would be a Chinese
| copy of the Gates Foundation. Now it appears
| that the celebration might have been premature.
| Perhaps New Huadu is a perfect imitator, as
| Microsoft also engaged in illegal activities
| before the Gates Foundation emerged.
`----

http://gateskeepers.civiblog.org/blog/_archives/2009/10/22/4358475.html

Chinese innovation and the Gates Foundation

,----[ Quote ]
| If this is how the Gates Foundation tries to
| support innovation in China it is not trying
| very hard. China has lots of new tech talent
| educated in the US. If the environment is right
| in the next twenty years there will be lots of
| innovation. But are small timebound grants the
| way to support it?
`----

http://gateskeepers.civiblog.org/blog/_archives/2009/10/19/4354533.html

Unions, Bill Gates pump last-minute cash against Wash. ballot issue slowing gov't growth

,----[ Quote ]
| National labor unions and Microsoft Corp. co-
| founder Bill Gates are among the donors who
| have poured nearly $1.5 million of last-minute
| cash into the campaign against Initiative 1033,
| a ballot measure that would slow the growth of
| state and local governments.
`----

http://gateskeepers.civiblog.org/blog/_archives/2009/10/16/4352483.html

Gates Foundation program advisory panel member speaks out on war and security

http://gateskeepers.civiblog.org/blog/_archives/2009/10/14/4350448.html

Is the Gates Foundation listening?

,----[ Quote ]
| Gates Keepers thinks there will be no Gates
| Foundation grants for Reganold or Herren
| forthcoming.
|
| Isn't it governance that is lacking for the
| Green Revolution in Africa? Does blaming people
| who question genetically modified plants help?
| Heim is asking the right questions of the right
| people. Is the Foundation listening?
`----

http://gateskeepers.civiblog.org/blog/_archives/2009/10/21/4357663.html

Will Bill Gates Come to the Rescue of Journalists?

,----[ Quote ]
| Online news site Crosscut's announcement
| yesterday of a $100,000 grant from the Bill and
| Melinda Gates Foundation surely raised some
| hopes in the tumultuous world of journalism. Is
| Bill Gates waking up to the havoc caused by the
| digital technology he has unleashed? Will his
| enormously deep-pocketed philanthropy come to
| the rescue of a profession--and means of
| informing that the public-- that threatens to
| disappear? Can the New York Times expect a
| bailout next?
`----

http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/dailyweekly/2009/10/will_bill_gates_come_to_the_re.php

Vanessa Mazal talks about how the Gates Foundation is getting into the media

,----[ Quote ]
| This is frightening. She tries to simplify
| media development and media for development but
| in the end it all sounds manipulative ... like
| our strings are being pulled by the Gates
| Foundation.
`----

http://gateskeepers.civiblog.org/blog/_archives/2009/10/13/4349646.html

Former Gates Foundation CEO's new employer gets a big grant from the Gates Foundation

http://gateskeepers.civiblog.org/blog/_archives/2009/10/20/4356547.html

Does the Gates Foundation support circumcision coercion?

http://gateskeepers.civiblog.org/blog/_archives/2009/10/12/4348746.html

Monsanto: Making Microsoft Look Good

,----[ Quote ]
| Do genetically-modified seeds bring
| increased productivity? There seem doubts;
| but even assuming it's true, Gates sets up a
| false dichotomy: one reason GMO seeds aren't
| sustainable is because they are patented.
| That is, farmers *must* buy them year after
| year, and can't produce their own seeds.
| It's a situation that's relatively easy to
| solve: make GMOs patent-free; do not place
| restrictions on their use; let farmers do
| what farmers have done for millennia.
|
| And look, there you have it, potentially: productivity and
| sustainability. But we won't get that, not because the idealistic
| environmentalist are blocking it, but because the seed industry
| wants farmers dependent on their technology, not liberated
| by it. It is sheer hypocrisy for a fan of patents to
| accuse environmentalists of being the obstacle to
| productivity and sustainability: that would be the
| industrial model of dependence, enforced by
| intellectual monopolies, and espoused by big
| companies like Monsanto, the Microsoft of
| plant software.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/10/monsanto-making-microsoft-look-good.html

No Patents on Seeds...or We're Really Stuffed

,----[ Quote ]
| Good to see that I'm not a lone voice crying
| in the wilderness:
|
|     The continuing patenting of seeds,
|     conventional plant varieties and animal
|     species leads to far-reaching
|     expropriations of farmers and breeders:
|     farmers are deprived of their rights to
|     save their seeds, and breeders are under
|     strong limitations to use the patented
|     seeds freely for further breeding. The
|     patent holder controlls the sale of the
|     seeds and the planting, decides about
|     the use of herbicides and can even
|     collect royalties at the harvest â up to
|     the finished food product.
|
|     Our food security is increasingly
|     dependent on a few transnational
|     chemical and biotechnological companies.
|     The European Patent Office (EPO) has
|     continuasly broadened the scope of
|     patentability and undermined existing
|     restrictions, in the interest of
|     multinational companies.
|
| [..]
|
| This exactly parallels the situation with
| software patents, where the EPO is using
| every trick in the book to approve them;
| except it's even worse.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/10/no-patents-on-seedsor-were-really.html

Related:

Dark cloud over good works of Gates Found

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-gatesx07jan07,0,6827615.story?coll=la-home-headlines

Gates Foundation Revokes Pledge to Review Portfolio

,----[ Quote ]
| ...the Gates Foundation took down their public statement on this
| and replaced it with a significantly altered version which seems to
| say that investing responsibly would just be too complex for them
| and that they need to focus on their core mission: 'There are
| dozens of factors that could be considered, almost all of which
| are outside the foundation's areas of expertise. The issues
| involved are quite complex...
`----

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/01/12/1756212&from=rss

Gates Foundationâs Influence Criticized

,----[ Quote ]
| The chief of malaria for the World Health Organization has complained that
| the growing dominance of malaria research by the Bill and Melinda Gates
| Foundation risks stifling a diversity of views among scientists and wiping
| out the world health agencyâs policy-making function.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/16/science/16malaria.html?_r=2&hp&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation- Truth Revealed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ttq0IdULfjg

Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation- Truth Revealed Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVlnqnMHQ1c