[News] Censorship in Australia Follows the China Model

  • Subject: [News] Censorship in Australia Follows the China Model
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 12:06:08 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

What is the 'Clean Feed'?

,----[ Quote ]
| The Australian Federal Government is pushing
| forward with a plan to force Internet
| Service Providers [ISPs] to censor the
| Internet for all Australians. This plan will
| waste tens of millions of taxpayer dollars
| and will not make anyone safer.z
|
| Despite being almost universally condemned
| by the public, ISPs, State Governments,
| Media and censorship experts, Communications
| Minister Stephen Conroy is determined to
| force this filter into your home.
`----

http://nocleanfeed.com/

Australia Edges Us Towards the Digital Dark Ages

,----[ Quote ]
| The first is that it won't actually stop
| people accessing illegal or unsuitable
| content. As fast as sites and IP addresses
| are blocked, others will pop up in an online
| arms race that is unwinnable by leaden-
| footed bureaucracy.
|
| Another issue is that by providing a
| compulsory filtering of the feed, the
| Australian government could easily lull
| parents into a false sense of security, and
| actually *increase* the risk of children
| being exposed to dangerous material. As with
| all kinds of online dangers, the best
| protection is for parents to be actively
| involved in the children's exploration of
| that world, and it's foolish to send out the
| message that the government is now
| âtacklingâ this problem, because many people
| will draw the inevitable conclusion that
| they don't need to worry about the issue any
| more.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=2698&blogid=14

Chinese domain crackdown targets smut sites

,----[ Quote ]
| Chinese regulators have started to request
| business licences and paperwork before
| allowing future .cn domain registrations.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/12/15/china_domain_regs/

District Court Finds Personal E-Mail From Work Still Privileged

,----[ Quote ]
| A federal prosecutor has won his fight to
| conceal e-mails he sent to his attorney over
| the governmentâs computers, contradicting a
| popular belief that employees have no
| expectation of privacy on work computers.
`----

http://legaltimes.typepad.com/blt/2009/12/district-court-finds-personal-email-from-work-still-privileged.html

North Face Didn't Get The Message; Sues South Butt

,----[ Quote ]
| Earlier this year, we wrote about how
| outdoor clothing firm North Face was
| seriously overreacting in threatening a
| small parody clothing manufacturer run by an
| 18-year-old student creating clothing under
| the "South Butt" brand name. At the time, we
| were amused by the boy's lawyer noting:
|
|     "I did try to explain with a great deal
|     of candor to counsel for the North Face
|     that the general public is aware of the
|     difference between a face and a butt."
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20091214/2350107352.shtml

Don't Sing-a-long: Capitol v Vimeo re 'Lip Dub' Videos

,----[ Quote ]
| Vimeo is a video-sharing site (owned by
| InterActive Corp). It apparently hosts many
| videos consisting of 'lip dubs,' like the
| one above actually performed by the Vimeo
| staff.
`----

http://www.schwimmerlegal.com/2009/12/dont_singalong.html

Recent: