[News] [Rival] Microsoft Admits Breaking the Law

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Admits Breaking the Law
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 12:24:12 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Microsoft admits stealing code from startup

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has suspended a new internet
| messaging service in China, after it emerged
| that the site was partially based on code
| stolen from a rival startup.
|
| The site, Juku, launched in November is similar
| in concept to other online messaging systems
| like Twitter. But earlier this week the team
| behind Plurk, a young internet company based in
| Canada and popular with users across Asia,
| accused Microsoft of directly copying as much
| as 80% of the code to run the program.
`----

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/dec/15/microsoft-plurk

Microsoft admits code theft for Chinese blog Juku

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has indefinitely suspended its
| Chinese microblogging service MSN Juku after
| admitting that it "copied" code used to create
| the site.
|
| A vendor contracted to work for the software
| giant was caught lifting code from a rival
| Canadian start-up, Plurk.

Microsoft fails to open source Windows 7 USB tool

,----[ Quote ]
| A posting on Microsoft's Port 25 blog last
| week revealed that the company had failed
| to release the code of the Windows 7
| USB/DVD Download Tool. Microsoft had
| admitted that the tool contained code from
| a GPL licensed application, ImageMaster,
| which was hosted on Microsoft's CodePlex
| project hosting site. Peter Galli,
| Microsoft's Open Source Community Manager,
| said "While we worked extremely hard to
| try and get the code ready for release by
| today, we still need to test and localise
| it". The plan is now to release the code
| "in the next few weeks".
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Microsoft-fails-to-open-source-Windows-7-USB-tool-867103.html

Microsoft embraces the GPL

,----[ Quote ]
| Hereâs the point that I find the most
| interesting, and that most commentators are
| not picking up on: this is just another
| example of Microsoftâs absolute
| incompentance in the area of Open Source.
| Which puts the lie to the entire idea of
| the Microsoft Codeplex Foundation being any
| sort of âdriverâ in the Open Source area.
|
| That fact of the matter is that Microsoft
| lacks the experience, credibility or
| expertise to be any sort of âdriverâ in the
| Open Source space, but the Microsoft
| Codeplex Foundation is a way for Microsoft
| to basically buy itself into the driverâs
| seat. Once there, I expect to see a ton of
| messaging attempting to shape thought
| around Open Source in a direction Microsoft
| finds acceptable.
|
| If you like mirror analogies, it would be
| like RMS setting up the Proprietary
| Software Foundation, and him going around
| saying that he really wants to balance the
| âneeds of proprietary software with the
| interests of freedomâ.
`----

http://www.the-source.com/2009/11/microsoft-embraces-the-gpl/

Microsoft pulls download tool over GPL violation accusation

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has taken offline an utility it
| supplies to help download DVD and USB images
| of Windows 7 purchased online, while it
| investigates allegations that GPL-ed code was
| used to develop the tool.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/29193/1090/

SFLC tech director finds one new GPL violator every day

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2009/11/sflc-tech-director-finds-one-new-gpl-violator-every-day.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss