[News] MAFIAA Goes After Schoolboy

Football chiefs to fine YouTube schoolboy Â5,000

,----[ Quote ]
| BUCKIE Thistle may not enjoy the
| sophisticated multi-camera TV coverage
| afforded to more illustrious clubs.
| But for two years David Smith has stoically
| filmed his beloved Buckie and posted the
| footage on YouTube for the enjoyment of the
| elderly, housebound and loyal fans off-shore
| and abroad.
|
| The ten-minute clips, complete with team
| credits, have earned a cult following on the
| internet, but the Highland League has now
| threatened the schoolboy with a Â5,000 fine
| for breach of copyright.
`----

http://news.scotsman.com/scotland/Buckie-football-chiefs--to.5918668.jp

Chuy's told to pay $49K for song use without OK

,----[ Quote ]
| A federal judge has ruled the owners of six
| Tucson Chuy's Mesquite Broiler restaurants
| must pay almost $49,000 for playing songs
| without permission.
`----

http://www.azstarnet.com/business/321683l

NBC, Defender Of All Things Copyright, Copies Blogger's Post Without Permission;
Removes Her Name When She Complains

,----[ Quote ]
| So, with all that, you'd have to imagine
| that if he found out about a company
| associated with the Olympics copied
| someone's blog post without first getting
| their permission, he'd be pretty upset. But
| what if that company was NBC Universal?
| Reader JC points us to the news that NBC
| Universal's Olympics website has been caught
| copying a blog post and then when alerted to
| it, rather than removing the content, it
| just removed the writer's name. It looks
| like the attention this story has received
| has resulted in NBC Universal putting her
| name back on the story, but the story
| remains on the site.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20091218/1059057423.shtml

Should e-Books Be Copy Protected?

,----[ Quote ]
| When I wrote about my concerns a year ago,
| my readers took me to task. "For all you
| know," went their counterargument, "the
| illegal copies are just advertising for you;
| people will download them, try them out,
| then go by the physical book. Either that,
| or they're being downloaded by people who
| would not have bought your book anyway. Why
| don't you try a controlled experiment and
| see?"
|
| Well, it sounded like it could be a very
| costly experiment. But I agreed. My
| publisher, O'Reilly, decided to try an
| experiment, offering one of my Windows books
| for sale as an unprotected PDF file.
|
| After a year, we could compare the results
| with the previous year's sales.
|
| The results? It was true. The thing was
| pirated to the skies. It's all over the Web
| now, ridiculously easy to download without
| paying.
|
| The crazy thing was, sales of the book did
| not fall. In fact, sales rose slightly
| during that year.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/17/technology/personaltech/17pogue-email.html?_r=3&8cir&emc=cira1

Recent:

RIAA lied to the US Congress

,----[ Quote ]
| In April the RIAA told US lawmakers that it was not going to chase individual
| file-sharers any more and was going to stop dragging grannies, homeless
| people and kids into court using dodgy evidence obtained by methods that
| seemed to break some state laws.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1137039/riaa-lied-us-congress

RIAA: "we have no choice" but to file more named lawsuits

,----[ Quote ]
| The RIAA said it would file no more "new" lawsuits against individual
| file-swappers, but it filed more such lawsuits in April. How to explain the
| apparent contradiction? By defining "new" in a particular way.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/05/riaa-we-have-no-choice-but-to-file-more-named-lawsuits.ars

The RIAA vs. 19 Year Old Cancer Patient

,----[ Quote ]
| Among the RIAA's latest targets in its campaign to sue its customer base into
| submission is a 19-year-old cancer patient. Ciaro Sauro was ruled a music
| pirate after failing to defend herself in court against charges from the RIAA
| that she was sharing music files online. Ms. Sauro has said she couldn't
| defend herself as she is hospitalized once a week, and vehemently denies the
| allegations that she is a pirate.
`----

http://www.hispanicbusiness.com/entertainment/2009/3/26/the_riaa_vs_19_year_old.htm

RIAA Sued For Racketeering Yet Again