[News] The British MAFIAA Wants More Web Policing and Surveillance

  • Subject: [News] The British MAFIAA Wants More Web Policing and Surveillance
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 20:27:39 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

British Music Industry Sees Piracy Threat Beyond P2P

,----[ Quote ]
| A new survey carried out on behalf of the
| BPI in the UK indicates that despite best
| efforts, P2P use is not in decline. As the
| industry continues to drag its feet when it
| comes to competing against other suppliers
| of music online, many consumers are
| branching out and turning to several
| alternative methods for acquiring their
| sounds.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/british-music-industry-sees-piracy-threat-beyond-p2p-091218/

NSFW: Free as in âmy publisher will disown me after I pirate my book on TechCrunchâ

,----[ Quote ]
| Since moving to the US and started to write
| for TechCrunch, I now have more people
| reading my words each week in North America
| than I do in the UK. Every week I delight in
| annoying commenters by promoting my war-of-
| the-worlds-winning book, to the point where
| people seem genuinely upset when I miss an
| opportunity to do so. And yet barely a day
| goes by without someone telling me they
| tried to find my book in the US, only to be
| disappointed that â due to publishingâs
| ridiculous obsession with territories â itâs
| only available outside North America. âItâs
| available on the Kindleâ I say. âPftâ they
| reply, âI donât have a Kindleâ. In most
| cases I end up emailing them a PDF â a
| distribution model that doesnât really
| scale.
`----

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/12/19/bringing-nothing-to-the-party/

Holy See declares unique copyright on Papal figure

,----[ Quote ]
| The Vatican made a declaration on the
| protection of the figure of the Pope on
| Saturday morning.  The statement seeks to
| establish and safeguard the name, image and
| any symbols of the Pope as being expressly
| for official use of the Holy See unless
| otherwise authorized.
`----

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/holy_see_declares_unique_copyright_on_papal_figure/

Recent:

Songwriters Guild: Network Neutrality Means More Piracy

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20091215/1845007377.shtml