[News] Zimbabwe Uses Ubuntu GNU/Linux in Large Lab of 87 Computer Aid Computers

  • Subject: [News] Zimbabwe Uses Ubuntu GNU/Linux in Large Lab of 87 Computer Aid Computers
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 10:11:06 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Independent Appeal: Processing power gets a new start in Africa

,----[ Quote ]
| "On my last visit to Zimbabwe," he says, "I
| saw an entire lab of 87 Computer Aid computers
| running Ubuntu [a free, open-source operating
| system]. Ten years ago, no one really used
| open-source software of this kind, because
| despite the philosophical reasons for doing so
| it was often impractical. But it seems that
| those problems may be disappearing."
`----

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/appeals/indy-appeal/independent-appeal-processing-power-gets-a-new-start-in-africa-1847232.html

Zimbabwe's government is switching to GNU/Linux (see link at bottom).

Ubuntu: Nine Priorities for Canonicalâs Incoming CEO

,----[ Quote ]
| As Mark Shuttleworth transitions Canonicalâs
| CEO crown to Jane Silber, The VAR Guy believes
| there are at least nine major Ubuntu
| priorities that Silber will need to address.
| Hereâs a look at the challenges â and
| opportunities â awaiting Silber when she
| assumes all of Canonicalâs CEO
| responsibilities in March 2010â
`----

http://www.thevarguy.com/2009/12/21/ubuntu-nine-priorities-for-canonicals-incoming-ceo/