[News] Ten "Best" Free Software, Ways of Managing Free/Libre Software Debated

  • Subject: [News] Ten "Best" Free Software, Ways of Managing Free/Libre Software Debated
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 10:19:07 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

10 best free applications

,----[ Quote ]
| Software can cost you a fortune but there are
| also hundreds of applications that are
| essential to have on your desktop and are
| free. We look at ten of the best free
| applications.
`----

http://mybroadband.co.za/news/Software/10906.html

Given 250,000 tools on the shelf, how do you manage them?

,----[ Quote ]
| About 15 years ago I noticed that the
| explosion of ready to use FOSS tools plus the
| trend toward general purpose tools and away
| from custom software was leading to a
| combinatorial crisis in software maintenance.
| I saw that it was the systems administratorâs
| responsibility to address the situation.
|
| It has become apparent to me that the solution
| would require use of convention, standards and
| policy to reduce the complexity of the problem
| to manageable proportions. I searched for the
| most âstandardizedâ conventions and policy-
| enforcing environment that would also provide
| the most flexible access to the most FOSS
| tools. The solution I found is Debian/GNU
| Linux, the universal operating system
| (although Ubuntu and other Debian derivatives
| also provide most of these benefits as well).
`----

http://blog.remoteresponder.net/2009/12/21/given-250000-tools-on-the-shelf-how-do-you-manage-them/

Related:

Finding Linux Systems Where They Never Were Found Before

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://broadcast.oreilly.com/2008/09/finding-linux-systems-where-th.html