[News] Signs of More Free Software in Democracy (E-Voting in Ghana)

  • Subject: [News] Signs of More Free Software in Democracy (E-Voting in Ghana)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 19:46:38 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

E-Voting in Ghana and the 2012 Elections

,----[ Quote ]
| Only a few weeks ago (December 1st 2009),
| Sequoia Voting Systems became the first major
| company of its kind (Voting Systems
| Manufacturers) to publish itâs source code
| openly for public download and study. You can
| read the following article for more information
| ([...] The move follows an earlier disclosure
| made by the California based Open Source
| Digital Voting Foundation (OSDF) which made
| available the source code of its Prototype
| Election Software in October 2009 (see:
| www.wired.com/threatlevel/2009/10/open-source/).
`----

http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/NewsArchive/artikel.php?ID=173843

What a Difference a Year Makes

,----[ Quote ]
| 2009 Prediction #1: Adoption of open source
| software will increase as the economy worsens.
| Accuracy: Grade B+
|
| We can say with some conviction that this
| indeed was the case in 2009. While we obviously
| do not have financials for all open source
| companies we can parse through the data that is
| available to prove our point.
`----

http://www.ddj.com/linux-open-source/222003021

Recent:

Electronic Voting Machines and a New Era of Fixing Elections

,----[ Quote ]
| Perhaps in the future more secure, open source
| systems may be available to any country (similar
| to open source operating systems like
| Linux/Unix) but for the moment, Electronic
| Voting hardware and software is produced
| privately, without open access to what is going
| on in these machines. Should we then trust these
| private companies just because they say we
| should? You do the maths.
`----

http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/NewsArchive/artikel.php?ID=172603

Ghana: Expert Appeals for 'Open Source' Software Usage

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://allafrica.com/stories/200809260860.html