[News] Special, Golden Sony Computer Runs GNU/Linux, Costs Â199,995

  • Subject: [News] Special, Golden Sony Computer Runs GNU/Linux, Costs Â199,995
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2009 22:08:30 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

PlayStation 3 Made of Gold is Â199,995 ($318,852)

,----[ Quote ]
| Not feeling the newness of the new PS3 Slim
| with its lower price point? Do you desire to
| have the bigger, Linux-capable machine â even
| at a higher price?
`----

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/ps3-gold-playstation-stuart-hughes,news-5427.html

Sony VAIO VGN-FW180-E/H

,----[ Quote ]
| Price: Â1,083FW_Gray_-_Front_lg
| Tech Specs:
| OS    Ubuntu
| CPU    Intel Centrino 2 2.4GHz
| RAM    4GB
| Dimensions    384 x 29-37  x 261mm
| Weight    3.1kg
`----

http://www.linuxuser.co.uk/reviews/sony-vaio/

Recent:

No Linux on PS3 Revisited

,----[ Quote ]
| So will the Other OS will return? Maybe. Sony recently unveiled the
| Academic PS3 Dev Kit. Could this lead to the return of the Other OS on a
| one to one basis? Itâs certainly possible that drivers could be written
| for the change in hardware and then submitted to Sony. If feedback is
| strong enough they could allow the needed change to the hypervisor code.
| Time will tellâ
`----

http://www.sonyinsider.com/2009/09/07/no-linux-on-ps3-revisited/

Linux to Remain in Older Model PS3s

,----[ Quote ]
| With Linux install getting the boot from the slimline PS3, you might have
| been concerned that Sony would pull a fast one and make the functionality
| disappear from older systems via a firmware update.
`----

http://www.gamekicker.com/Playstation-3/Linux-to-Remain-in-Older-Model-PS3s

The PC in a Console: Linux on the Sony PS3

,----[ Quote ]