[News] Free Software Enters Many Lists for 2009

  • Subject: [News] Free Software Enters Many Lists for 2009
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2009 00:29:19 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Software development's winners and losers, 2009 edition

,----[ Quote ]
| Winner: Open source software No one thought
| an open source company would ever be worth $1
| billion, but now that Sun owns MySQL, it is
| about to sell itself to Oracle for $7 billion
| and change. Sure, the server hardware
| business is nice and Java is a wonderful
| brand, but everyone assumes that the meat of
| the deal lies in control of the MySQL
| copyrights. That's why the Europeans are so
| concerned. MySQL's success with marketing
| itself by giving away copies is one of the
| big reasons that open source is now the
| dominant business model for many companies.
| Even the most proprietary companies have
| found ways to emulate most of the openness by
| creating licenses like "shared source" and
| "developer's editions."
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2009/122309-software-developments-winners-and-losers.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

Ten people who have influenced technology over the past decade

,----[ Quote ]
| Mark Shuttleworth: Founder of Canonical LTD,
| Shuttleworth has taken on Microsoft's
| domination of the operating system market
| through the development of Ubuntu Linux.
| Committed to free and open source software,
| with Ubuntu he has shown that Open Source is
| especially beneficial to schools and colleges
| across the world and in developed and
| developing countries.
`----

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10617345

Famous South Africans in IT

,----[ Quote ]
| Mark Shuttleworth
|
| Perhaps the best known of South Africa's IT
| entrepreneurs, Mark Shuttleworth is the
| founder of Canonical, the company behind the
| Ubuntu operating system and Thawte, a
| provider of digital certificates.
| Shuttleworth founded Thawte in 1995 and sold
| the company to VeriSign in December 1999 for
| R3.5 billion. With that money Shuttleworth
| founded HBD Venture Capital, a business
| incubator and venture capital provider, as
| well as The Shuttleworth Foundation.
|
| Through the Foundation Shuttleworth has
| funded projects in education, free software
| and telecommunications. Shuttleworth also
| founded Canonical and the Ubuntu Linux
| operating system which is open source
| software. Until December 17 Shuttleworth was
| CEO of Canonical when he announced he was
| standing down as the CEO to focus on the more
| technical aspects of the operating system.
| The first version of Ubuntu was released in
| October 2004.
|
| Theo de Raadt
|
| Theo de Raadt is the founder and leader of
| the OpenBSD project, a security-focused free
| software operating system. Born in Pretoria,
| De Raadt moved to Canada when he was almost
| ten. In 1993 De Raadt was a co-founder of
| NetBSD, based on the original Berkley
| University BSD Unix operating system. A
| dispute in 1994 led to De Raadt being asked
| to resign as a core NetBSD member.
`----

http://mybroadband.co.za/news/General/10922.html

The 10 Coolest Open-Source Products Of 2009

,----[ Quote ]
| 2. Ubuntu
| When Canonical started out in 2004, Linux was
| seen by many in the IT Industry as a powerful
| yet complex technology that was best wielded
| by seasoned professionals. A lot has changed
| since then, and Canonical's Ubuntu Linux is a
| big reason why.
|
| In October, Canonical released Ubuntu 9.10,
| code-named "Karmic Koala," which enables
| companies to build their own cloud computing
| environments on their own servers and
| hardware. As it has done with desktop and
| server Linux, Canonical aims to take a
| pioneering role in cloud computing, and this
| release is the first step in that direction.
| "Ubuntu is a solid product that has continued
| to make leaps and bounds," says Frank
| Basanta, director of technology for Systems
| Solutions, a New York-based integrator. In
| Ubuntu 9.10, the addition of virtualization
| and cloud computing features is helping
| Canonical to become a serious player in this
| space.
`----

http://www.crn.com/software/222002724;jsessionid=CQM5CE04DVJMLQE1GHRSKH4ATMY32JVN?pgno=3

10 Greatest Open Source Software Of 2009

,----[ Quote ]
| My Favorite Software Of 2009:
|
| VirtualBox - It is a life saver for sys admin
| and perfect free software loaded with tons of
| features. It offers great performance and
| stability, and supports a wide-variety of
| guest operating systems.
|
| This is my personal FOSS desktop software
| list and it is not absolutely definitive, so
| if you've got your own software, share in the
| comments below.
`----

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/10-greatest-open-source-software-of-2009.html

Top 10 Internet Moments of 2009

,----[ Quote ]
| Obama White House Goes 2.0
|
| Obama put open technology to work during his
| White House run, notably relying on social
| networks that gave users more control over
| the campaign message. On the day they settled
| in at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave., Obama's open
| government team began deploying open-source
| Drupal systems on all of its sites and
| opening them up to user comments, polling and
| feedback.
`----

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/timothy-karr/the-top-10-open-internet_b_401570.html

The â00 7: The decadeâs most important tech advances

,----[ Quote ]
| 3. Open source
|
| Ten years ago, the phrase âopen sourceâ
| tended to conjure images of a computing
| counterculture, people who operated outside
| the regular business model. Consider Linux,
| the open-source Unix-like operating system
| that was viewed as being only for hard-headed
| coders. (Even if they were actually following
| the true computing spirit of open
| information, that was the impression in a lot
| of quarters.) Today, open source practically
| is the mainstream. Sun Microsystems went open
| source a few years ago, Microsoft has opened
| up some code and both military and civilian
| agencies are promoting the use of open-source
| solutions. Open-source software in common use
| these days includes the Firefox browser, the
| Open Office suite and Googleâs Chrome
| browser. And, of course, Linux is everywhere,
| especially on the back ends of Web-facing
| systems.
`----

http://gcn.com/articles/2009/12/28/2000s-most-important-tech-advances.aspx

Your 2009 code word was Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| If there was one word that could get Open
| Source readers more passionate than Microsoft
| in 2009, it was Ubuntu.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=5473

Recent:

ERP in 2009: Looking back, looking ahead

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9142603/ERP_in_2009_Looking_back_looking_ahead