[News] Ubuntu 10.04 Alpha 1 in Review, Sabily 9.10 (Muslim Ubuntu Derivative) Out

  • Subject: [News] Ubuntu 10.04 Alpha 1 in Review, Sabily 9.10 (Muslim Ubuntu Derivative) Out
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 01:31:51 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx Alpha 1 review

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu 10.04âs Alpha has been released. We decided to install it
| on one of our netbooks to see what is new in it. Canonical claims
| that many new things will surface with the release Ubuntu 10.04 and
| some of them have been implemented in the alpha release.
|
| [...]
|
| Right now, there is not even a basic paint alternative. gpaint which
| although looks a lot like MS paint, but cannot even crop a picture. So,
| if GIMP is removed, I donât think there is a worthy MSpaint
| alternative in Linux
|
| Office
|
|     * Dictionary
|     * Evolution mail and calender
|     * OpenOffice Presentaion
|     * OpenOffice Spreadsheet
|     * OpenOffice Word Processor
|
| Sound and Video
|
|     * Brasero Disc Burner
|     * Movie Player
|     * Rhythmbox Music Player
|     * Sound Recorder
`----

http://gadgetmix.com/index/ubuntu-10-04-lucid-lynx-alpha-1-review/

Karmic Koala: What's new in Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| One important feature is the new software
| centre, Kissling says. A bit of background:
| modern Linux distributions all possess a
| so-called package manager. This is a
| utility to help users install new software
| not included with Linux itself. Instead of
| searching through the web for a specific
| program, the package manager handles the
| heavy lifting.
`----

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/301072,karmic-koala-whats-new-in-ubuntu.html

Sabily 9.10 Is Based on Karmic Koala

,----[ Quote ]
| Complete with customized artwork and a big
| collection of Muslim-specific software,
| Sabily (formerly Ubuntu Muslim Edition) is
| a robust operating system for Muslims all
| over the world, be they Arabic speakers or
| not.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Sabily-9-10-Is-Based-on-Karmic-Koala-130612.shtml

Recent:

Ubuntu: Muslim Edition (Sabily) Review

,----[ Quote ]
| A while back I looked at the Christian Edition of Ubuntu (that distribution
| has been cancelled apparently as per the note on its site). This time around
| I was pleased to find that there was a Muslim edition available. So I gave it
| a download and thought I'd add it to our collection of Linux distribution
| reviews.

Sabily 9.04 released

,----[ Quote ]

`----