[News] GNU/Linux Gaming Specials for Christmas

  • Subject: [News] GNU/Linux Gaming Specials for Christmas
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 15:51:46 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Gifts for Gamers: Some End-of-Year Recommendations, Part 1

,----[ Quote ]
| Christmas is a time for rest and
| contemplation. To intersperse the period
| with some distraction on long winter
| evenings, a number of Linux games can prove
| some diversion, as this article will show.
|
| The sports event of the weekend will be
| going into winter break, and to while away
| the time, we assembled a short list of
| interesting but little known games that have
| been brought to our attention over the last
| few months. The recommendations cover lots
| of different game genres, so there should be
| something for everyone.
`----

http://www.ubuntu-user.com/Online/News/Gifts-for-Gamers-Some-End-of-Year-Recommendations-Part-1

Linux Gaming: Are We There Yet?

,----[ Quote ]
| Some are probably asking at this point, what
| is Wine? The Wine project was started in
| 1993 to allow Windows applications to be run
| under Linux. Wine takes the Windows API
| (Application Programming Interface) and
| implements it in the Linux user space. Since
| Wine is running in user space and is not a
| part of the Linux Kernel, it relies on the
| wineserver daemon to provide your basic
| Windows kernel functionality as well as
| other various tasks of X integration.
|
| As a quick recap, there are two basic goals
| we want to complete in this article. First
| we want to compare performance and
| functionality of games between Linux and
| Windows. Second, we will look at the
| performance and functionality differences of
| Wine/Cedega/Crossover Games.
`----

http://www.anandtech.com/linux/showdoc.aspx?i=3700

HOWTO: Devil's Tuning Fork under Wine

,----[ Quote ]
| I've been in a gaming mood of the late and I
| much prefer to be able to run my games under
| Linux as opposed to having to reboot into
| Windows. That being said a game I've really
| enjoyed playing is Devil's Tuning Fork. It
| is a very unique first person indie game in
| which your character "sees" with their ears.
| It is being developed by a team of students
| at DePaul University in Chicago and it is a
| free download from the game's homepage.
`----

http://jeffhoogland.blogspot.com/2009/12/howto-devils-tuning-fork-under-wine.html

Recent:

Smokin' Guns a free Old West game for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.unixmen.com/linux-tutorials/463-smokin-guns