[News] A Look Back at a Decent Year for Ubuntu GNU/Linux

  • Subject: [News] A Look Back at a Decent Year for Ubuntu GNU/Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 15:57:37 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Retrospect on Ubuntu in 2009

,----[ Quote ]
| All in all, 2009 was not a revolutionary
| year for the Ubuntu community.  There was no
| LTS release, as there was in 2008 and will
| be in 2010, and the focus was on incremental
| development.
|
| Nonetheless, itâs clear that Ubuntu gained
| some useful new features, and the community
| received interesting news, in 2009.  Letâs
| hope the improvements weâve seen in the last
| year solidify and expand going into 2010 and
| the Lucid release next April.
`----

http://www.workswithu.com/2009/12/28/retrospect-on-ubuntu-in-2009/

2010: The year of Ubuntu Inclusiveness

,----[ Quote ]
| If I was forced to provide some quantitative
| milestones for Ubuntu Women, I would
| probably offer, along with a grain of salt:
|
|     * Break 5% of Ubuntu Membership held by
|     women (currently 4-point-something)
|     * Increase Women ~ubuntu-dev membership
|     by 50% (from 4 to 6)
|     * Increase Women ~ubuntu-core-dev
|     membership by 100% (from 1 to 2, because
|     dealing in fractions of people is
|     illegal in most places)
|     * Increase active mentors by 100%
|
| Since these are supposed to be figures for
| the inaugural term of 6 months, the success
| of these figures relies fairly heavily upon
| women who are already involved. This is a
| critical caveat. Incentives to take the
| first step to participation, counsel and
| mentoring will be the most important
| activities Ubuntu Women undertakes, and will
| set up the opportunity to aim for better
| milestones beyond the inaugural 6 month term.
`----

http://www.geekosophical.net/?p=369

Ubuntu, which direction are you heading?

,----[ Quote ]
| But you can't beat Windows by offering a
| Windows-looking clone. Because people will
| still want their Office and their whatever.
| You may claim that people will have a free
| Windows alternative available and will flock
| to it. Well, they already have a free
| Windows alternative. It's called pirated
| Windows and it's rampant.
`----

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/ubuntu-direction.html

Recent:

Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Alpha 1 Has Linux Kernel 2.6.32

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Ubuntu-10-04-LTS-Alpha-1-Has-Linux-Kernel-2-6-32-129357.shtml