[News] Steve Ballmer Should be Booted for Software Patents & Racketeering

  • Subject: [News] Steve Ballmer Should be Booted for Software Patents & Racketeering
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 16:38:28 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Would you fire Steve Ballmer?

,----[ Quote ]
| A US federal appeals court upheld a $290-
| million judgment against Microsoft Corp. and
| ordered it to stop selling MS Word unless it
| removed code that violated the software patent
| of an obscure Canadian company, i4i, that sued
| it in Texas and won.
|
| The ruling is ironic, given Microsoftâs use of
| software patents earlier this year to bludgeon
| TomTom, a Dutch maker of car navigation
| systems, into settling over its use of the
| Linux kernel. Ballmer has bellicosely
| proclaimed that the kernel violates several
| Microsoftâs patents and has threatened to sue
| developers and users alike over its use. The
| companyâs suit against TomTom in February was
| the first time it tried to enforce these
| patents against the Linux platform.
`----

http://www.manilastandardtoday.com/insideBusop.htm?f=2009/december/29/chinwong.isx&d=/2009/december/29

The best (of the worst) patent claims of 2009

,----[ Quote ]
| El Reg is always eager to lap up the sad,
| eerie, and unusual of the bunch as they fall
| into our sights. We've gathered up a few of
| our 2009 favorites published in honor of the
| year's end.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/12/28/top_patent_applications_of_2009/

Recent:

Intellectual Ventures' patent protection racket

http://slashdot.org/submission/1068513/Intellectual-Ventures-patent-protection-racket