[News] Good Year Done for GNU/Linux on Desktop, Good One Ahead

  • Subject: [News] Good Year Done for GNU/Linux on Desktop, Good One Ahead
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 03:15:51 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

2009: A Linux year in review

,----[ Quote ]
| Was 2009 the year of the Linux desktop? Itâs a
| rather silly question, honestly, and a Google
| search will show that for the last number of
| years, there have been constant predictions
| that that year was the year of the Linux
| desktop. And, guaranteed, in January there
| will be more predictions that 2010 will be
| âthe year of the Linux desktop!â
|
| But why this focus on a particular point in
| time? Recent distributions already prove that
| Linux is more than capable for the desktop,
| and this has been true for years. 2009 brought
| about GNOME 2.28 and KDE 4.3, both forward-
| progressing desktop environments. Are they
| perfect? Of course not. But let me pose this
| question: Is Windows on the desktop perfect?
|
| Linux on the desktop is entirely subjective:
| For some, the year of their Linux desktop was
| 2009, or last year, or the year before that.
| For others, Linux wonât be good enough until
| 2010, or 2011, or even further.
`----

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/opensource/?p=1134

Labs Outlook 2010: Oracle/Sun, Microsoft Azure, Office, Ubuntu and Chrome OS Will Make Big Waves

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu 10.04, a.k.a. the Lucid Lynx, is set to
| hit the Web in April. Lucid will be
| Canonical's third Long Term Support release,
| and I expect it to break new ground for the
| organization in the server space, owing in
| large part to its Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud
| functionality.
|
| Toward the end of the year, I expect to see
| devices shipping with Google's Web-centric
| Chrome OS, which may well set the stage for a
| new batch of rich Web applications in 2011 and
| beyond.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Windows/Labs-Outlook-2010-OracleSun-Microsoft-Azure-Office-Ubuntu-and-Chrome-OS-Will-Make-Big-Waves-156551/

Recent:

ERP in 2009: Looking back, looking ahead

,----[ Quote ]
| Free and open-source ERP options proliferate
|
| Going into 2010, companies have more options
| than ever for free and open-source ERP
| software. There are at least 10 open-source
| products in the market, with some more mature
| than others.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9142603/ERP_in_2009_Looking_back_looking_ahead

Open source software can save India $2 bn

,----[ Quote ]
| As Indian consumers and enterprises evaluate the option of
| upgrading to Microsoftâs much-touted operating system (OS)
| Windows 7, to be officially launched on October 22, the free
| and open source software (FOSS) community has fired yet
| another salvo at proprietary software.
|
| In the year 2010, if FOSS is adopted at 50 per cent levels
| across the economy, India can save around $2 billion (around
| Rs 9,800 crore), suggests a study conducted by the Indian
| Institute of Management-Bangalore. Even a very conservative
| estimate, notes the study, pegs the cost savings for use of
| FOSS on servers as an operating system or as an application
| at Rs 138 crore in 2010.
`----

http://www.business-standard.com/india/news/open-source-software-can-save-india-2-bn/369858/

Could India Save Billions With FOSS? Whose Numbers Are Accurate?

,----[ Quote ]
| I suspect that such truly independent numbers would show
| that there are truths to weigh behind both Red Hat's and
| Microsoft's positions. Support and training are cost centers
| in big software deployments, but companies like Red Hat
| specialize in minimizing the costs for them. As is always
| true with statistics, it can get very hard to discern
| whether the ones we see are lies, damned lies, or truths.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/could-india-save-billions-with-foss-whose-numbers-are-accurate

MLAs to go e-way with pre-loaded linux laptops

,----[ Quote ]
| The MLAs in the State are going e-way like their counterparts in other
| States, but with a difference. The 141 MLAs in the Kerala Legislative
| Assembly will be provided with pre-loaded GNU/Linux laptops, giving a clear
| indication that the State is still bonded to the idea of free software. The
| Kerala Legislative Assembly website has published the tender for
| pre-installed open source purchase with Linux Ubuntu certification.
`----

http://www.expressbuzz.com/edition/story.aspx?Title=MLAs+to+go+e-way+with+pre-loaded+linux+laptops&artid=kEtBMjxZtZU=&SectionID=1ZkF/jmWuSA=&MainSectionID=fyV9T2jIa4A=&SectionName=X7s7i%7CxOZ5Y=&SEO=

Saving a Billion Using Open Source

,----[ Quote ]