[News] Free Software Winners and Losers in 2009, More Projects

  • Subject: [News] Free Software Winners and Losers in 2009, More Projects
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 03:39:04 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Open Source E-Commerce: Winners and Losers in 2009

,----[ Quote ]
| For the last year we have compiled monthly
| statistics on the top Open Source eCommerce
| programs, including several free or nearly-free
| proprietary programs that are sold for less than
| some OSC programs. "Open Source" means free to
| look at and to modify, not free of cost: about
| half of the top OSC programs reviewed are sold
| for a fee.
`----

http://www.ecommerce-guide.com/essentials/shopping_carts/article.php/3855641

MyYearbook Speeds Web Responses

,----[ Quote ]
| McObject's eXtremeDB is based on its open source
| system, Perst. Perst is designed to be embedded
| in Java, Java ME, and Microsoft .Net
| applications. The ExtremeDB commercial version of
| Perst comes in a high availability version that
| includes transaction logging.
|
| MyYearbook.com, an early user of eXtremeDB, was
| launched in 2005. It is also a user of the open
| source PostgreSQL system for relational database
| work, Harris said.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/software/database/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=222100221

Open Source Versions of Five Games You Loved as a Kid

,----[ Quote ]
| If you've got some free time on your hands this
| holiday season, check out these open source
| versions of popular games you grew up playing.
| They're loads of fun, but don't blame us if they
| make you a little nostalgic.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/open-source-versions-of-five-games-you-loved-as-a-kid

Recent:

My Tribe - An enjoyable resource management game for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| My Tribe is the latest game from Grubby Games - the
| creators of Prof Fizzwizzle and Fizzball. Grubby Games
| are known for releasing Linux versions of all their games.
| My Tribe game also has a Linux version. The first time I
| started playing the My Tribe game, I was taken in by its
| vivid graphics.
`----

http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2008/12/my-tribe-enjoyable-resource-management.html

DOSBox evokes nostalgia