[News] New Programming Tips with Focus on Free Software

  • Subject: [News] New Programming Tips with Focus on Free Software
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 20:56:36 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

New Year, New Adventures in Software Application Development

,----[ Quote ]
| In 2010, developers will learn to let go and
| adapt to a centralized resource pool,
| continuous testing will eclipse continuous
| integration, coffee breaks will get shorter,
| open source CI tools will buckle in big
| shops, and distributed software
| configuration management tools will cross
| the chasm from open source projects to the
| enterprise.

Embedded programming languages

,----[ Quote ]
| A long time ago when I first started at IBM
| I used an editor named XEDIT that ran under
| the VM/CMS operating system on mainframes.
| It was a fullscreen, line-oriented editor
| that looks primitive now but was quite
| sophisticated in its time. One of the best
| things about it was that it was scriptable:
| you could write very sophisticated programs
| that could manipulate files and their
| contents. XEDIT really became powerful when
| used with the REXX programming language and
| many of my thoughts and philosophy about
| embedded languages were formed during my use
| of REXX.
`----

http://www.sutor.com/newsite/blog-open/?p=4822

Social Hosting, Good Parenting Are Keys to Open Source Success

,----[ Quote ]
| Markdown is a text-to-HTML conversion tool
| which allows you to write web code using an
| easy-to-understand plain text format.
| Markdown text is then converted to
| structurally valid XHTML (or HTML). Markdown
| is used all over the web â itâs even
| understood by the content fields and comment
| forms within most popular blogging
| platforms, including WordPress and Movable
| Type. Itâs been ported to Python, Ruby, PHP
| and other popular languages.
|
| However, the original Perl script has
| remained largely unchanged since its release
| in 2004. In his post, Atwood takes Gruber to
| task for what Atwood calls âbad parenting,â
| an indictment of Markdownâs lack of bug
| fixes, updates and improvements.
|
| Markdown was released under a BSD-style open
| source license, meaning the community can do
| pretty much whatever it likes with the code,
| so long as it respects the copyright notices
| and naming rules. Indeed, many ports of
| Markdown enjoy rather widespread support
| with numerous contributors and an aggregate
| community of active developers that the
| original Markdown lacks.
`----

http://www.webmonkey.com/blog/Social_Hosting__Good_Parenting_Are_Keys_to_Open_Source_Success

Recent:

Make a Python game in minutes with Gloss

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.tuxradar.com/content/make-python-game-minutes-gloss