[News] New GNU/Linux Applications: Nightshade, Firebird (RC)

  • Subject: [News] New GNU/Linux Applications: Nightshade, Firebird (RC)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 21:04:10 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Nightshade Open Source Planetarium Project Launched

,----[ Quote ]
| Digitalis Education Solutions, Inc. is pleased
| to announce the official launch of Nightshade,
| open source astronomy simulation and
| visualization software specifically tailored to
| digital planetarium and educator use.
`----

http://www.ereleases.com/pr/nightshade-open-source-planetarium-project-launched-29954

Firebird 2.5 RC1 released

,----[ Quote ]
| The primary goal for Firebird 2.5 was to
| establish the basics for a new threading
| architecture that is almost entirely common to
| the Superserver, Classic and Embedded models,
| taking in lower level synchronization and
| thread safety generally.
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2009-12-30-001-35-PR-CY-SW

Recent:

Firebird Community Interview part 2 with Daniel Albushat

http://www.firebirdnews.org/?p=2529

Firebird Version 2.1.2

,----[ Quote ]
| Release Candidate 2 (Build 18118)
`----

http://firebirdsql.org/index.php?op=files&id=fb212_RC2

Open Source Edition of syslog-ng 3.0 released

,----[ Quote ]
| BalaBit, the company behind the alternative Syslog Daemon syslog-ng, has
| released version 3.0 of their Open Source Edition (OSE). The system logging
| software sends encrypted log messages over the network to a central logging
| server, where they can be filtered and stored in a database.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/Open-Source-Edition-of-syslog-ng-3-0-released--/news/112811

Firebird Roadmap for 2009

,----[ Quote ]
| The Firebird project publishes the following roadmap. During this year,
| Firebird users can expect more supported releases (2.1.x and 2.5.0) and the
| first alpha of FB 3. Many new features are planned, as described in the
| roadmap.
`----

http://www.linuxpr.com/releases/11117.html

Related:

What is Firebird?

,----[ Quote ]
| It seems that many people think that Firebird Foundations owns Firebird,
| makes development strategic/tactic decisions or something like this. This is
| not real, in fact the Firebird Foundation is an institution to collect
| donations and sponsors money and grant them to people, related with Firebird
| development. To understand exactly who is who we need to look at the current
| situation with Firebird.
`----

http://ibdeveloper.blogspot.com/2008/10/what-is-firebird.html

Future of Firebird

,----[ Quote ]
| Dmitry Yemanov did a session about Firebirds future, he included several
| slides about the almost-beta Firebird 2.5, an Alpha build is currently
| available via Firebirds website.
`----

http://blog.upscene.com/martijn/index.php?entry=entry080930-204249

Creating a Flamerobin/Firebird livecd with Ubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04.1

,----[ Quote ]
| This is an howto create your own ubuntu live cd with firebird/ubuntu and
| custom applications ,in guide ubuntu variation used was Xubuntu (is smaller
| and can be customized easier ) but it works for any hardy release
`----

http://www.firebirdnews.org/?p=1863

Firebird 2.1 in Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

,----[ Quote ]
| Firebird 2.1 will be included by default in the next Ubuntu release named
| Intrepid Ibex that will be released in 30 October.
`----

http://www.firebirdnews.org/?p=1718

ARM Linux gains embeddable SQL database

,----[ Quote ]
| The Firebird Project has ported its lightweight, open-source database to the
| ARM architecture. The project is looking for help testing a new Firebird 2.1
| RC2 release, which in addition to ARM support, adds database triggers,
| temporary and monitoring tables, common table expressions, and recursive
| queries.

Firebird v.2.0.3 is Released

,----[ Quote ]
| The Firebird Project team is pleased to announce the release of Firebird
| v.2.0.3. Kits for Windows and Linux (x86 and x64) are in the Sourceforge
| repository and should start to appear throughout the day. Enjoy!
`----

http://www.firebirdnews.org/?p=1303

Database performance

,----[ Quote ]
| The backend unit tests provided a base on which we built more
| extensive database performance tests, covering many aspects of
| database performance using JDBC on Linux.
`----

http://devloop.org.uk/documentation/database-performance/

Firebird 2.0 flies

,----[ Quote ]