[News] Graphics Stack in Linux Getting a Lot Easier, Freer

  • Subject: [News] Graphics Stack in Linux Getting a Lot Easier, Freer
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 10:26:32 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

The abrupt merging of Nouveau

,----[ Quote ]
| The merge window is normally a bit of a hectic
| time for subsystem maintainers. They have two
| weeks in which to pull together a well-formed
| tree containing all of the changes destined for
| the next kernel development cycle.
| Occasionally, though, last-minute snags can
| make the merge window even more busy than
| usual. The unexpected merging of the Nouveau
| driver is the result of one such snag - but it
| is a story with a happy ending for all.
`----

http://lwn.net/Articles/366648/

Open Source in 2010: Nine Predictions

,----[ Quote ]
| Users have been waiting a long time for open
| source video drivers that match proprietary
| ones feature for feature. But by the end of
| next year they may actually arrive. Intel
| drivers are already solid, and are used on
| about twenty-five percent of open source
| computers.
|
| However, the Linux 2.6.33 kernel is supposed to
| include increased support for both ATI and
| NVIDIA cards, so major improvements are a
| certainty by the end of next year. At the very
| least, if features are still missing, they
| should be come by mid-2011.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3855801/Open-Source-in-2010-Nine-Predictions.htm

Recent:

Nouveau To Go Into Linux 2.6.33 Kernel!

,----[ Quote ]
| Wow, the day has come, open-source fans with
| NVIDIA hardware that run Linux have quite the
| present this holiday season. Yesterday there
| was the first DRM pull request for the Linux
| 2.6.33 kernel that brought many changes to the
| ATI/AMD and Intel DRM along with other core DRM
| improvements (such as to the TTM memory
| manager). These changes were quite significant
| and we even called it a great present in the
| Linux 2.6.33 kernel.
|
| These DRM changes were accepted, but Linus
| Torvalds went off on a bit of rant wanting
| Nouveau merged into the kernel. A discussion
| ensued and after blaming Nouveau's lack of
| upstreaming on wanting the kernel/user-space
| API to potentially change in the future and
| then with Red Hat disclosing the Nouveau
| microcode problem that seemed to be pretty
| much that and we had not expected any
| immediate activity on the matter.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Nzc5NQ