[News] Arch Linux Impressions; Mandriva Gains KDE 4.4 Beta 2

  • Subject: [News] Arch Linux Impressions; Mandriva Gains KDE 4.4 Beta 2
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 01 Jan 2010 14:24:33 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Getting Started with Arch Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Itâs hard to come up with an opinion about
| Arch, since Arch is what you make of it. I
| like that it gives so much control to the
| user when it comes to system
| configuration, but at times it feels like
| a little too much control. There are a few
| things that make you think âcome on, does
| this HAVE to be manual?â but the
| developers are clearly just trying to
| follow the Arch philosophy of giving the
| user all the control. In particular, it
| would be nice to have tools like hwd and
| aurbuild as part of the system, or at
| least available for installation through
| pacman. That may happen at some point as
| packages in AUR have a chance to be worked
| into the community repo eventually.
| Overall I think I like Arch and pacman,
| and I can see how it would make a great
| choice for systems that should be kept
| fast and clean.
`----

http://maketecheasier.com/getting-started-with-arch-linux/2009/12/31

Noteworthy changes 21 december â 31 december 2009

,----[ Quote ]
| In spite of the holiday season, lots of
| new packages continue to trickle in
| Mandriva Cooker. Amongst the many updates,
| here is an overview of some important
| changes:
|
|     * GNOME is now updated toversion
|     2.29.4: The most important changes are
|     in Nautilus. In preparation of GNOME
|     3.0, where Nautilus will purely be a
|     file browser and wonât provide the
|     desktop anymore, the file management
|     part has been improved a lot. Upstream
|     is now using browser mode by default
|     (this was already the case in
|     Mandriva) and made several UI
|     improvements for it. The developers
|     have added now an optional split view
|     like Midnight Commander. Another
|     useful change is that itâs now
|     possible in GNOME to configure a
|     background per monitor on a multi-
|     monitor setup in GNOME. Also worth
|     mentioning is the fast progress the
|     Tracker document search engine is
|     making since some time. I would
|     recommend removing Beagle from your
|     Cooker system, and switching to
|     Tracker instead. Then by clicking on
|     the Search button in Nautilusâ
|     toolbar, you can easily search your
|     files.
|     * KDE has been updated to the latest
|     beta, which is version 4.4 beta 2.
`----

http://artipc10.vub.ac.be/wordpress/mandriva/noteworthy-changes-21-december-31-december-2009.html

Recent:

Arch Linux 2009.8 Installation Visualization â VirtualBox

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.benkevan.com/blog/arch-linux-2009-8-installation-visualization-virtualbox/