[News] Android/Linux Comes to Everything, Even Garmin

  • Subject: [News] Android/Linux Comes to Everything, Even Garmin
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 01 Jan 2010 23:15:44 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Will smartphones see off sat-nav?

,----[ Quote ]
| The two models currently available run on
| Linux and Windows platforms but Garmin plans
| to launch an Android phone in America in
| 2010.

My 2009 Team of the Year Award

,----[ Quote ]
| A couple of months ago when my Nokia N95
| suddenly turned into a brick the inestimable
| James Whatley aka whatleydude was kind
| enough to loan me an HTC Magic running the
| new mobile OS from Google. I played with the
| device for about five minutes before
| proclaiming: For now, Nokia, youâre dead to
| me.
`----

http://www.redmonk.com/jgovernor/2009/12/30/my-2009-team-of-the-year-award/

The Androidification of Everything

,----[ Quote ]
| The bigger indicator of momentum for Android
| is the excitement it has generated in the
| semiconductor industry. EETimes reports
| that, in addition to chip companies ARM and
| MIPS, semiconductor design firms such as
| Aricent and Mentor Graphics have established
| special Android-focused businesses.
| Freescale Semiconductor is working on an
| Android-based netbook design, as is
| Qualcomm.
`----

http://gigaom.com/2009/12/30/the-androidification-of-everything/

Recent:

Android Phones to Challenge iPhone Supremacy

,----[ Quote ]
| Now bitter industry rival SK Telecom is
| looking to generate just as much buzz by
| getting out of the gate early on premium
| phones powered by the Google-backed Android
| operating system.
|
| SK Telecom, the country's biggest mobile
| telephony operator, currently plans to release
| its first Android phone, produced by Motorola,
| sometime around mid-January, industry sources
| said.
`----

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/biz/2009/12/123_58177.html

T-Mobile G1 To Get Android OS Upgrade?

,----[ Quote ]
| AndroidSpin, an Android focused news site, has
| reported that the very first Android based
| smartphone, the T-Mobile G1, will be getting
| an over-the-air update.
|
| This will upgrade its software with Android
| 2.0 or possibly Android 2.1, which
| incidentally is the operating system of soon-
| to-launch Nexus One also know as the Google
| Phone.
`----

http://www.itproportal.com/portal/news/article/2009/12/29/t-mobile-g1-get-android-os-upgrade/

First android-based tablet pc for india

,----[ Quote ]
| Notion Ink, a Hyderabad-based technology
| start-up, has developed the first touchscreen
| tablet which uses Googleâs open source
| operating system Android, Nvidiaâs yet-to-be
| launched Tegra processor chips and a power-
| saving display screen from the US-based
| fabless developer Pixel Qi.
`----

http://www.business-standard.com/india/news/first-android-based-tablet-pc-for-india/380542/

Android is big in the mobile OS game

,----[ Quote ]
| ACCORDING TO STATISTICS from Comscore,
| Google's Android OS has made a quick and big
| impression on US mobile users.
|
| User statistics compiled by the firm show
| that Android has had an impact on Americans
| already and is the second most popular
| platform for accessing social media sites
| and mobile media.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1566683/android-mobile-os-game

Forrester: Google Android Smartphones to Take 10% of Market in 2010

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.cio.com/article/511783/Forrester_Google_Android_Smartphones_to_Take_10_of_Market_in_2010?source=rss_news