[News] Free Content and Licensing Models a Blessing to Knowledge

  • Subject: [News] Free Content and Licensing Models a Blessing to Knowledge
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2010 01:49:14 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

How Digitized Content Democratizes Knowledge

,----[ Quote ]
| Imagine my surprise this week when I learned
| that National Geographic is selling digital
| versions of every copy of National Geographic
| published since 1888 on DVD for $70 . No,
| there are no typos here. They'll sell you 120
| years of brilliant photography, insight and
| commentary about our world for essentially
| the price of taking your family to see
| "Avatar." For $200, they'll even send you the
| lot on a 160GB hard drive.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/185708/how_digitized_content_democratizes_knowledge.html?tk=rss_news

Plagiarism and the Creative Commons license

,----[ Quote ]
| The bottom line is that this guy tried to
| pass off my work as his, got caught, lied
| himself into a corner, then tried to bluff
| his way out.  Didnât work.  Iâm not surprised
| at how it went down, in retrospect; after
| reading some of the things in his online
| profile, I should have known this was not a
| man who would ever admit a mistake even if he
| was walking around with a bucket of shit
| stuck on his foot.  Iâll admit to one,
| though: it was a mistake for me to offer a
| compromise.  To someone like that, a
| compromise offer is seen as admission of
| weakness.
`----

http://www.dwasifar.com/?p=958

Recent:

US Gov Requests Feedback on Open Access â ACM Gets it Wrong (Again)

,----[ Quote ]
| In 2008, legislation was passed requiring all
| NIH-funded researchers to submit their papers
| to an openly available repository within a
| year of publication.  Even this modest step
| towards full open access was immediately
| attacked by rent-seeking scientific
| publishers.
`----

http://www.realtimerendering.com/blog/us-gov-requests-feedback-on-open-access-acm-gets-it-wrong-again/