[News] [Rival] Microsoft Bribes to Hijack Sri Lanka's Education, Similar in Italy and RP with the Grameen Shill

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Bribes to Hijack Sri Lanka's Education, Similar in Italy and RP with the Grameen Shill
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2010 21:49:11 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

100 million rupees grant from Microsoft to MOE

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft recently announced that it would
| be funding the Education for Knowledge
| Society Project (EKSP) of Sri Lanka's
| Ministry of Education for 12 to 15 months
| via a Rs. 100 million grant.
`----

http://www.sundaytimes.lk/100103/BusinessTimes/bt37.html

Risks for Italian Public Education in Government/Microsoft deal

,----[ Quote ]
| What would you do if a teacher tried to
| teach your children to write only with one
| brand and model of pens or pencils, "because
| that's what everybody uses"? Would you laugh
| in his face and immediately ask he's
| suspended from teaching or would you let him
| continue?
|
| If you answered "I'd laugh and then make
| sure he's suspended" and you'd like that
| school taught as to solve problems rather
| than blindly push buttons like monkeys, here
| is an interesting story.
|
| Microsoft has been under examination for
| several years before the European Union,
| with charges of abuse of dominant position,
| that is because it makes unnecessarily
| difficult to get rid of its software even
| for users who would like to run other
| programs in order to save money or for any
| other reason. This is why, starting in 2004,
| the European Union fined Microsoft for more
| than one and a half billion Euros.
|
| With such a background, why did Italian
| Ministers Brunetta and Gelmini signed a
| three years deal for multimedia educational
| tools and services with Microsoft in a
| moment (September 2009) in September 2009,
| when the EU antitrust regulators hadn't yet
| verified if the answers from Microsoft to
| the charges against them were acceptable?
`----

http://stop.zona-m.net/node/65

Microfinance sector taps Microsoft to intensify technology adoption

,----[ Quote ]
| The Redmond, Washington-based software giant
| made the announcement during a recent
| seminar for NGOs it co-sponsored with
| microfinance organization Grameen Foundation
| in Makati City.
|
| [...]
|
| It is the first in a series of education and
| mentorship forums for microfinance that
| Microsoft and Grameen Foundation plan to
| conduct in other countries in the coming
| year.
|
| The Philippines was chosen as the launch
| market because of its leadership in the
| microfinance industry and advanced
| technology infrastructure, as well as the
| availability of resources on the ground to
| assist MFIs in adopting technology.
`----

http://www.mb.com.ph/articles/235856/microfinance-sector-taps-microsoft-intensify-technology-adoption

Recent:

Grameen gets new tech center director, partners with Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| The Grameen Foundation today named David
| Edelstein as the new director of its Seattle-
| based Grameen Technology Center.
|
| Edelstein had been the director of
| information and communication technology
| innovation at the center, and like his
| predecessor, also has experience at
| Microsoft.
`----

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/thebusinessofgiving/2010391788_grameen_gets_new_tech_center_d.html

Microsoft software for microfinance institutions

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.malaya.com.ph/12032009/busi7.html