[News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux Makes Profound Personal Impact; New Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter

  • Subject: [News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux Makes Profound Personal Impact; New Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 17:21:49 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

How Ubuntu (Linux) Changed My Life

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu changed my life!  Iâm smarter, cooler,
| and more ethical.
|
| Sound too good to be true?  Well, it isnât.
|
| I began using Linux about 2 years ago.
| Before that, I was a long time Windows user.
| (And before that, an Apple user.)  Until my
| Linux days, I was a pretty typical PC user.
| I would word-process documents, play a few
| games, and later, check email and surf the
| net.  I really didnât care about how things
| worked; I just wanted them to work.  And
| hence, my Windows days were nothing
| pioneering or interesting.
`----

http://diffperspective.wordpress.com/2009/12/24/how-ubuntu-linux-changed-my-life/

Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter Issue 174

,----[ Quote ]
| Welcome to the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter,
| Issue #174 for the week December 27th -
| January 2nd, 2010. In this issue we cover:
| Edubuntu Council Elections Results, Call for
| votes: Ubuntu Developer Membership Board
| election, New IRC Council Appointments,
| Ubuntu User Days Announcement, Ubuntu will be
| at Anime Boston 2010, 2010 Launchpad Release
| Calendar, Trying Out Launchpad Translations,
| The Planet: Amber, Daniel, Matthew, Steven,
| and Daniel, Full Circle Magazine #32,
| December Team Reports, and much, much more!
`----

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/Issue174

Recent:

The Open Source Philosophy

,----[ Quote ]
| The Open Source Definition arose out of the ambiguity of the word "free"
| in "Free Software," as defined by the Free Software Foundation." In the
| English language, "free" is a loaded term that has two meanings: "freedom",
| and "costing nothing." It was created to get rid of some of the emotional
| baggage that came with the intense philosophical point of view of the FSF,
| but just because the OSD is more "business-friendly" does not mean that it
| doesn't have the philosophy and intent of openness behind it.
`----

http://www.raccoonfink.com/2009/05/the-open-source-philosophy.html?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=the_open_source_philosophy

The Open Source Philosophy (Continued)

,----[ Quote ]