[News] Sun and GNU/Linux Replace Microsoft and Scare the Thug

  • Subject: [News] Sun and GNU/Linux Replace Microsoft and Scare the Thug
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2010 00:02:02 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

More Myths - this time from Education to the Workplace

,----[ Quote ]
| To support my large wife and small family I
| look after various customers' computers and
| networks. Most are small businesses and use
| Microsoft-based operating systems. I have
| often thought about why it's so hard to get
| anyone to even try using Free and Open
| Source Software. For instance, when I
| demonstrate OpenOffice and explain that
| it's MEANT to be free - i.e. it's not
| pirated - and that you are entitled to
| download and install the subsequent updates
| and upgrades for free as well, people often
| agree that it looks like a good deal, glaze
| over, then continue using whatever version
| of MS Office they've bottomed the bank
| overdraft to buy.
`----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10014756o-2000673651b,00.htm

Six office alternatives

,----[ Quote ]
| OpenOffice.org (http://www.openoffice.org)
|
| This has to be the number one alternative
| to Microsoft Office. The open source
| productivity tool includes all of the
| features offered by MS Office but for free.
| Version 3.0 of OpenOffice.org (OOo) was
| released in late 2008 and since then a
| number of update releases have been issued
| to fine tune its features.
|
| OpenOffice.org includes full compatibility
| with documents created in Microsoft Office,
| the biggest stumbling block to switching to
| a new office suite. And the latest version
| of OOo has full compatibility with
| Microsoft's newer .docx format files, those
| created by Office 2007.
`----

http://mybroadband.co.za/news/Software/10918.html

Microsoft Is Looking for a Linux and Open Office Compete Lead

,----[ Quote ]
| However, this posting definitely means that
| Steve B himself is having some nightmares
| about both Linux and Open Office. Some of
| the job requirements posted on this listing
| are pretty clear about that fact.
`----

http://techie-buzz.com/featured/microsoft-looking-for-linux-open-office-compete-lead.html

Microsoft Considers OpenOffice.org As A Major Threat To Office Suite

,----[ Quote ]
| Open Office, a free and open source suite
| of office productivity programs, has
| apparently emerged as a potentially lethal
| threat to Microsoftâs flagship Office
| suite, which also faces serious competition
| from web-based Google Docs.
`----

http://www.itproportal.com/oss/news/article/2010/1/4/microsoft-considers-openofficeorg-major-threat-office-suite/

Recent:

New: OpenOffice.org 3.2.0 Release Candidate 1 (build OOO320_m8) available

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/new_openoffice_org_3_2