[News] Lenovo to Preinstall GNU/Linux Sub-notebooks/Tablets

  • Subject: [News] Lenovo to Preinstall GNU/Linux Sub-notebooks/Tablets
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 00:25:21 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Lenovo Opens Smartbook Chapter With Skylight

,----[ Quote ]
| Lenovo's Skylight has a customizable user
| interface (UI) built on a Linux shell. "The
| gadgets consist of live Web gadgets like
| Facebook, Gmail and Twitter," said Ninis
| Samuel, director of global marketing for
| Lenovo's Idea product group. These gadgets
| are always connected to the Web and update
| automatically. The gadgets also let users
| buy and download videos and movies from the
| Web.

IdeaPad U1 Hybrid pairs notebook base with detachable tablet

,----[ Quote ]
| Lenovo has introduced the IdeaPad U1
| Hybrid, a device which features a notebook
| base and a detachable tablet. The tablet
| integrates an LED-backlit 11.6-inch display
| and Qualcomm's Snapdragon ARM CPU running
| the Skylight Linux interface. Users can
| easily browse the internet and perform
| other basic functions with the tablet
| alone. A 16GB flash drive, 512MB of RAM,
| and Snapdragon integrated graphics round
| out the tablet specs.
`----

http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/01/04/device.powered.by.qualcomms.snapdragon.cpu/

Lenovo Unveils New Hybrid Tablet/Laptop and Smartbook

,----[ Quote ]
| Skylight could emerge as an alternative in
| the low-cost laptop space to netbooks,
| which are mostly powered by Intel's Atom
| chips. Atom-based netbooks have a leg up
| because of support for both Microsoft's
| popular Windows operating systems and
| Linux. Arm-based chips do not support a
| full Windows OS, so smartbooks usually come
| with the Linux OS.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/185860/lenovo_pushes_new_smartbook_as_netbook_alternative.html

Lenovo unveils IdeaPad U1 Hybrid

,----[ Quote ]
| It has all the features of PC, including a
| Linux-based OS and Qualcommâs Snapdragon
| chip.
`----

http://www.themoneytimes.com/reviews/20100105/lenovo-unveils-ideapad-u1-hybrid-id-1095947.html

Lenovo launches Linux based Skylight Smartbook and Hybrid

,----[ Quote ]
| Lenovo has launched its Skylight smartbook,
| a mobile device with 10 inch screen and
| integrated 3G in a clamshell laptop format.
| Powered by a 1Ghz Qualcomm Snapdragon
| processor, the Skylight uses Lenovo's own
| "web-optimised" interface. Users are
| presented with six  "web gadgets" in the
| simplified, gadget-based user interface
| displayed on the 1280 by 720 resolution
| display.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Lenovo-launches-Linux-based-Skylight-Smartbook-and-Hybrid-895471.html

Recent:

Lenovo IdeaPad S12: netbook or not?

,----[ Quote ]
| The current use of the term 'netbook' started
| with the original Asus Eee PC. Weighing less
| than 1kg and sporting a 7in screen, it was
| clearly distinguishable from notebooks -
| especially as it ran Linux rather than
| Windows.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/29564/53/

Lenovo IdeaPad S10e review

,----[ Quote ]
| Lenovo isn't a household name when it comes to computers, but in business
| circles the company is well respected for its robust line of ThinkPad laptops
| (previously produced for IBM). Consequently, you won't find Ubuntu or
| Mandriva on its IdeaPad netbooks â the only option is SUSE Linux Enterprise
| Desktop.
`----

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/laptops-portable-pcs/laptops-and-netbooks/lenovo-ideapad-s10e-506789/review

Virtualization: Pushing Linux Into Small Businesses?

,----[ Quote ]
| When Lenovo launched four ThinkServers a few days ago, The VAR Guy noticed
| that the systems â designed for small and midsize businesses â emphasized
| virtualization. Hmmm. So, The VAR Guy began to wonder: Are virtualized
| servers (running a mix of Linux and Windows) really starting to push into the
| SMB space?
`----

http://www.thevarguy.com/2009/07/07/virtualization-pushing-linux-into-small-businesses/

Microsoft-paid anti Linux stooges at Lenovo

,----[ Quote ]
| This isnât like Windows at all which already has or provides easy access to
| everything I want it to do, can be downloaded and burned legally and for free
| to any blank disc I have laying around, and is entirely open source. Linux is
| proprietary and costs between $140-$1000 a license.
`----

http://izanbardprince.wordpress.com/2009/05/13/microsoft-paid-anti-linux-stooges-at-lenovo/

This is Why Lenovo Sucks at Linux

,----[ Quote ]