[News] Microsoft Desperation for Payments in Developing World Helps Free Software

  • Subject: [News] Microsoft Desperation for Payments in Developing World Helps Free Software
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 15:31:47 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Is Microsoft's Anti-Piracy Campaign Good for Open Source?

,----[ Quote ]
| Luckily, Microsoft's behavior is also
| pushing more and more companies to adopt
| other open source software. Before years,
| Linux and free software were worthy only
| to open source fanatics and geeky IT
| managers, but now they become more than a
| valid option in contrast with expensive
| software licensing and intellectual
| property illegalities.
`----

http://jordanopensource.org/blog/microsofts-anti-piracy-campaign-good-open-source

Six Lessons Learned from Launching â and Closing â a Community

,----[ Quote ]
| Lesson 1: No need to restrict membership
| in the community. Many foundations might
| initially decide to limit membership to
| certain designated experts or focus
| attention on those experts. Iâve certainly
| heard those conversations among foundation
| executives. (How can we be comfortable
| handing off grant decisions to people who
| are not qualified experts?) ON had no such
| concerns. At its peak, the community had
| more than 19,000 registered members. They
| ranged from stay-at-home moms to
| entrepreneurs to renowned experts to
| potential grantees. With the self-
| moderation tools baked into the platform,
| the community policed itself. Kriese says
| some of the most passionate contributors
| came from among the people who were not
| professionals in the field. He also says
| many of those people were motivated by the
| chance to work side-by-side with the big-
| name experts.
`----

http://larryblumenthal.wordpress.com/2010/01/04/six-lessons-learned-from-launching-and-closing-a-community/#more-314

"It's easier for our software to compete with Linux when there's piracy
than when there's not."

                   --Bill Gates

Recent:

Microsoft: âPiracy no longer poses a threat to usâ

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://freakbits.com/microsoft-piracy-no-longer-poses-a-threat-to-us-1202