[News] Misconceptions About the GNU System Addressed

  • Subject: [News] Misconceptions About the GNU System Addressed
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 15:34:41 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Better to remain silentâ

,----[ Quote ]
| This is so wrong, I can only assume Mr.
| Lustfield means to say that the âGNU
| systemâ does not exist without Linux.
| Which of course, is still wrong. Been
| wrong for a long time, in fact. (This
| isnât counting GNU/Hurd of course)
|
| Iâm not sure if the problem is because Mr.
| Lustfield is ignorant of other kernels, if
| he doesnât understand what a kernel is,
| doesnât understand what GNU is, doesnât
| understand what an operating system is, or
| simply doesnât care and just wants to rag
| on the FSF and GNU. Iâm of the opinion
| itâs all of the above.
|
| Of course, the supreme deliciousness is
| that Mr. Lustfield is so very involved in
| (surprise, surprise) Ubuntu, which of
| course is a derivative of â. Debian
| GNU/Linux:
|
|     Debian is a free operating system (OS)
|     for your computer. An operating system
|     is the set of basic programs and
|     utilities that make your computer run.
|     Debian uses the Linux kernel (the core
|     of an operating system), but most of
|     the basic OS tools come from the GNU
|     project; hence the name GNU/Linux.
`----

http://www.the-source.com/2010/01/better-to-remain-silent/

Giving FSF Chief GNU-isance Richard Stallman The Credit GNU Deserves

,----[ Quote ]
| After carrying-on for many years an on-
| again, off-again email-only relationship
| with Free Software Foundation president
| and founder Richard Stallman (or "Chief
| GNU-isance" according to the FSF staff), I
| finally met him today for a face-to-face
| interview. While the interview was
| actually for a larger project we're
| working on here at InformationWeek, we
| spent a considerable amount of time
| talking about the issues he wrestles with
| every day. One of them is GNU and the
| highly misguided usage of the term Linux
| to describe what is really GNU/Linux.
| Stallman, GNU, and the FSF deserve some
| credit and we (including distributors such
| as Red Hat and Novell) should all pay it
| to them.
|
| [...]
|
| After the interview's conclusion, Stallman
| said I was particularly nasty in the way I
| started to ask my question to which I
| responded that I understood the issue
| well, that I have understood it for many
| years, and that I meant no disrespect. He
| admonished me to go back to the recording
| and listen to the way in which I phrased
| the question. He was right. Stallman
| chooses his words very carefully. I
| didn't. If you compare his request in
| email to the question I started to ask,
| you can see how my question essentially
| endorses "Linux" as the accepted name of
| an operating system that should be called
| "GNU/Linux."
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2010/01/giving_fsf_chie.html;jsessionid=AYHNK324AJFU3QE1GHPCKH4ATMY32JVN

FSF announces LibrePlanet 2010 free software community conference: March 19-21

,----[ Quote ]
| The Free Software Foundation (FSF) has
| announced the 2010 dates for its
| LibrePlanet international free software
| community conference. The three day event
| will be held in Cambridge, Massachusetts,
| at the Harvard University Science Center,
| from March 19th to March 21st, 2010.
`----

http://www.fsf.org/news/libreplanet2010

SFLC: Episode 0x1E: Fontana Redux

,----[  ]
| Karen and Bradley interview this show's
| first-ever second-time guest, Richard
| Fontana, who is an Open Source Licensing
| and Patent Counsel at Red Hat.
`----

http://www.softwarefreedom.org/podcast/2010/jan/05/0x1E/

Recent: