[News] Google Encourages Users of Android (Linux) to Get Root Access If So They Wish

  • Subject: [News] Google Encourages Users of Android (Linux) to Get Root Access If So They Wish
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 23:17:34 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

How to unlock the bootloader on your Nexus One

,----[ Quote ]
| So we rooted the Nexus One. Before it was
| out. Without a device. Neat, but many
| knowledgeable commentators in the Android
| community noted that the root was only
| possible due to the engineering bootloader
| shipped on the devices distributed by
| Google, and that retail devices would likely
| have locked bootloaders. We told them not to
| worry... and here's why.
|
| [...]
|
| It's easy too! Google WANTS you to be able
| to do whatever you please on your Nexus One,
| but they also want you to be aware of the
| consequences.
`----

http://android.modaco.com/content/google-nexus-one-nexusone-modaco-com/299078/how-to-unlock-the-bootloader-on-your-nexus-one/

Google and the Great White Open Spaces

,----[ Quote ]
| Google is such a large company, and with
| increasingly large ambitions, that it is
| often hard keeping tabs on all of its
| activities. That's particularly the case at
| the moment, when most of the tech world is
| understandably focussing on the imminent
| launch of Google's own Android phone.
|
| But important as these events are, we
| shouldn't overlook some of the less well-
| publicised, but nonetheless strategic, moves
| it is making elsewhere. Perhaps the best
| example of that can be found in the field of
| open spectrum.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=2716&blogid=14

Welcome to Google's Nexus One â and the "Nexus" Device

,----[ Quote ]
| Google leads with the fact that this is as
| much about *how* people buy phones, as what
| that phone is. As many commentators have
| noted, that's a reflection of Google's long-
| term plans to break the grip that the
| current mobile phone companies have on this
| sector, but it needs to proceeds cautiously,
| step by step, so as not to frighten the
| animals â hence the very limited scope of
| the present announcement.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=2717&blogid=14

Ten Technologies That Will Rock 2010

,----[ Quote ]
| Android: Last year saw the launch of nearly
| two dozen Android-powered phones, including
| the Verizon Droid.  In a few days, Googleâs
| Nexus One will launch as the first Android
| phone which can be unlocked from any given
| carrier (it is launching with T-Mobile).
| Android is Googleâs answer to the iPhone,
| and as it reaches critical mass across
| multiple carriers and handsets it is
| becoming increasingly attractive to
| developers.  There are already more than
| 10,000 apps on Android, next year there will
| be even more.  And other devices running on
| the mobile OS are launching as well.
`----

http://www.techcrunch.com/2010/01/01/ten-technologies-2010/

Superphone is Just Another Word for Personal Computer

,----[ Quote ]
| It's long been argued that FLOSS advocates
| should be looking at the next generation of
| computing devices. That strategy is paying
| off. More than 1.4 million Google Android
| (that's Linux) devices shipped in the third
| quarter of 2009. It's too early for numbers
| in the fourth quarter, but you can bet that
| they're even higher. In three months, that's
| 1.4 million users adopting Linux for
| personal computing. Granted, still a
| minority next to other smartphones, but the
| Nexus One looks ready to give other
| smartphone vendors a run for their money.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/superphone-is-just-another-word-for-personal-computer

Why Google Nexus One launch was inevitable: Report

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/20100106/why-google-nexus-one-launch-was-inevitable-report.htm

Ads From Planet Nexus

,----[ Quote ]
| For others, the move into equipment will in
| time fragment the Android OS world, so that
| some handset makers could develop their own
| Linux kernel based on Android, or put a
| middleware layer on top of Android, while
| remaining compatible with Android apps.
`----

http://blogs.wsj.com/source/2010/01/06/ads-from-planet-nexus/

Recent: