[News] Open Access Gains Ground

How to Learn Just About Anything Online ... For Free

,----[ Quote ]
| Stan Peirce had been looking for new
| pursuits after a long career as an
| electrical engineer with Eastman Chemical
| Co. in Kingsport, Tenn. Then, last year,
| while searching the Internet, he stumbled on
| nearly 2,000 academic courses that the
| Massachusetts Institute of Technology had
| put online. Peirce saw MITâs offeringsâits
| OpenCourseWare project complete with
| syllabuses, assignments, exams and, in many
| cases, audio or video lecturesâas nothing
| short of an educational gold mine.
`----

http://bulletin.aarp.org/yourworld/reinventing/articles/freelearning.html

MapOSMatic: generate city maps from OpenStreetMap data

,----[ Quote ]
| We are pleased to announce the release of
| MapOSMatic, a set of tools to automatically
| generate cities' map from OpenStreetMap
| data. MapOSMatic takes care of generating a
| labelled grid over the map, a list of street
| with references matching the grid as well as
| a nice layout of the city if its
| administrative boundaries are known. For
| now, it only supports rendering French
| metropolitan cities' maps, but it will soon
| be extended to other parts of the world.
| MapOSMatic is Open Source / Free Software
| licensed under AGPLv3.
`----

http://lwn.net/Articles/351961/

OpenStreetMap reaches 200,000 user milestone

,----[ Quote ]
| OpenStreetMap Founder Steve Coast has
| announced that the OpenStreetMap (OSM)
| Project now has more than 200,000 registered
| users. The project, originally started in
| August of 2004, has become increasingly
| popular in recent months. The new milestone
| comes less than ten months after the project
| reached 100,000 registered users back in
| March of 2009. OpenStreetMap is an open
| source project, run by the OpenStreetMap
| Foundation, that builds free online maps,
| not based on any copyright or licensed map
| data.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/OpenStreetMap-reaches-200-000-user-milestone-895518.html

Opening up UK local spending data

,----[ Quote ]
| While this is currently experimental, in the
| future he plans to make it easy to export
| data in XML/JSON as well as to create more
| sophisticated visual representations of the
| data.
`----

http://blog.okfn.org/2010/01/05/opening-up-uk-local-spending-data/

Title: Self-Selected or Mandated, Open Access Increases Citation Impact for Higher Quality Research

,----[ Quote ]
| Abstract: Articles whose authors make them
| Open Access (OA) by self-archiving them
| online are cited significantly more than
| articles accessible only to subscribers.
| Some have suggested that this "OA Advantage"
| may not be causal but just a self-selection
| bias, because authors preferentially make
| higher-quality articles OA.
`----

http://arxiv.org/abs/1001.0361

Recent:

HiperBarrio Maps San Javier La Loma with Open Street Maps

,----[ Quote ]
| Last Saturday Fredy Rivera, a leading mapper
| of Open Street Maps based in BogotÃ,
| organized a workshop at the small public
| library in La Loma to teach its young
| residents how to make a map of their own
| community.
`----

http://rising.globalvoicesonline.org/blog/2009/12/05/hiperbarrio-maps-san-javier-la-loma-with-open-street-maps/

Potlatch/Openstreetmap going proprietary ?

,----[ Quote ]
| ActionScript 3 !? Wait, that means NO more
| access for free software users!
|
| What a pity, such an exemplar case of good
| open SWF practice (sources buildable with
| free software, binaries playable with free
| software) coming to an end.
`----

http://www.gnashdev.org/?q=node/72

How To Organize A Mapping Party

,----[ Quote ]
| We had a mapping party at NIT Calicut
| recently. After the first day of the event I
| shared some ideas to make such mapping
| parties better with GeoHackers team.
|
| [...]
|
| Maps are created at this stage. The data we
| have mined are ordered, analyzed, and
| tagged. We need to make sure that all the
| team follows a naming convention or comment.
| The coordinator should watch for over
| marking / mis-marking of the same location.
| Once the data is properly tagged, it is time
| to upload it to the OSM server.
`----

http://playingwithsid.blogspot.com/2009/11/how-to-organize-mapping-party.html

FLOSS Weekly 81: OpenStreetMap.org