[News] Small Business GNU/Linux Server in Review, Apache Surges Upwards

  • Subject: [News] Small Business GNU/Linux Server in Review, Apache Surges Upwards
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 03:11:18 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

The Small Business Server Replacement is Clear(OS)

,----[ Quote ]
| When it comes to the Internet, Linux is a big win.
| Mail and web servers, databases,
| computational clusters and supercomputers
| all belong to the domain of free software.
| When it comes to embedded devices, Linux is
| also king of the roost.
|
| [...]
|
| Now, meet ClearOS, a free and open source
| Linux distribution which does just that.
| ClearFoundation released the stable version
| of ClearOS 5.1 just before Christmas and it
| is available for download.
|
| It might sound like a new kid on the block,
| but actually ClearOS has a long history
| going back to the turn of the century. It
| was previously known as ClarkConnect, a
| very popular distribution for setting up a
| Linux server quickly and conveniently.
| ClearOS is now built on CentOS, which is in
| turn built from the source code of Red Hat
| Enterprise Linux. As such, ClearOS has a
| solid and reliable foundation.
`----

http://www.linux-mag.com/cache/7662/1.html

January 2010 Web Server Survey

,----[ Quote ]
| Apache gained approximately 3M hostnames
| compared to the December 2009 survey, bringing
| their total to 111.3M.
`----

http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2010/01/07/january_2010_web_server_survey.html

Recent:

A Small Business Guide to Linux Desktop Software

,----[ Quote ]
| While you can still download many free
| versions of Linux online, for convenience
| sake, several vendors offer user-friendly
| versions and charge a fee for support. Red Hat
| and Novell are the primary desktop Linux
| vendors, accounting for nearly 95 percent of
| the operating system revenue in 2008,
| according to IDC. Further, these two companies
| claimed 90 percent of worldwide Linux
| subscribers during 2008.
|
| âThe Linux desktop has developed very rapidly
| over the past few years,â said Nick Carr,
| marketing director of Red Hat. âFrom a
| technology viewpoint the Linux desktop is well
| developed, feature rich and mature. It is low
| cost, secure and manageable, and itâs very
| well suited to a wide range of customer
| deployments.â
`----

http://www.smallbusinesscomputing.com/biztools/article.php/3856831