[News] MSI Makes New Computers with GNU/Ballnux (Recipe for Ballmereturn Rates)

  • Subject: [News] MSI Makes New Computers with GNU/Ballnux (Recipe for Ballmereturn Rates)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 03:56:05 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

New SUSE/Moblin Linux netbook from MSI arrives

,----[ Quote ]
| According to Guy Lunardi, Novell's director of
| client preloads, the mix and match of
| SUSE/Moblin's core package is built on top of
| the Moblin 2.1's 2.6.31 Linux kernel. Above
| that, most of the software is from SLED 11.
| Instead of KDE 4.3, though, for the interface,
| it uses the Moblin Web-oriented interface. So,
| for example, to use Firefox for your Web
| browser, you'll get to it via the Moblin
| toolbar.
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/15364/new_suse_moblin_linux_netbook_from_msi_arrives

This is where a lot of FUD about sub-notebooks came from.

Related:

ASUS CEO Reveals Eee PC Sales Numbers, Plans for Touch Eee PCs and More Eee
Family Products

,----[ Quote ]
| We have heard that return rates have been higher for Linux-based netbooks.
| Can you share information on sales of the Linux Eee PCs versus Windows XP
| versions? What about return rates overall for Eee PC netbooks?
|
| I think the return rate for the Eee PCs are low but I believe the Linux and
| Windows have similar return rates. We really separate the products into
| different user groups. A lot of users like the Windows XP, but in Europe a
| lot of people want the Linux option. Actually in Linux we support the Easy
| Mode and in Q4 of this year we are going to start selling Windows XP with an
| Easy Mode.
`----

http://blog.laptopmag.com/asus-ceo-reveals-eee-pc-sales-numbers-plans-for-touch-eee-pcs-and-more-eee-family-products

MSI Winks at New Operating System