[News] Red Hat Finds New Markets/Services for Free Software

  • Subject: [News] Red Hat Finds New Markets/Services for Free Software
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 10:42:02 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Enterprise Virtualisation Powers Cost-Effective Growth

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat, the world leading provider of open
| source solutions, recently released Red Hat
| Enterprise Virtualisation (RHEV) that gives
| businesses unprecedented technology prowess
| to unlock capital and enhance operational
| efficiency. RHEV is built on open source and
| comes at a much lower cost than proprietary
| virtualisation products.
|
| RHEV is the first open source virtualisation
| solution that features Kernel-based Virtual
| Machine (KVM) hypervisor, the software that
| allows multiple virtual operating systems to
| run on a host machine or system.
`----

http://www.futuregov.net/articles/2010/jan/08/enterprise-virtualisation-powers-cost-effective-gr/

Open source may be a venture capital dry hole

,----[ Quote ]
| Still, some companies manage to make money.
| Red Hat makes money.
|
| Most people credit Red Hatâs success to its
| relationship with IBM and the fact itâs
| selling a Linux. But I suspect there is more
| to it than that.
|
| Marc Fleury built JBOSS around committers, and
| many cashed out when Red Hat came in during
| 2006. It has taken Red Hat a long time to
| build back a proper support infrastructure,
| but now that work seems to be finally done
| and, while the company doesnât break out its
| numbers, JBOSS seems to be a profit
| contributor rather than a cash sink.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=5570

Recent:

Open source needs successful champions

,----[ Quote ]
| The open source industry needs profitable
| champions to demonstrate success, and
| attract funding and participation in open
| source, according to Red Hat CEO.
|
| In an interview with ZDNet Asia Wednesday,
| Jim Whitehurst said revenue models of open
| source proponents such as Red Hat itself and
| Google, have brought success to the
| respective companies and allowed them to
| contribute back to the open source
| community. Google relies on ad-based
| revenue, while Red Hat's revenue runs on a
| subscription model.
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/software/0,39044164,62059103,00.htm

Red Hat pitches x64 virtualization with KVM rollout

,----[ Quote ]
| Commercial Linux distributor Red Hat today
| got its freestanding, bare-metal Enterprise
| Virtualization hypervisor, a hardened
| version of the KVM hypervisor it took
| control of last summer, to market. That
| makes Red Hat a player as x64 servers the
| world over are set for a massive wave of
| virtualization.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11/03/redhat_rhev_hyper/

Red Hat Rolls Out Virtualization Platform for Heterogeneous Servers and Clouds

http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS154301+03-Nov-2009+BW20091103

Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization Gets Managed

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat has been talking about its new
| virtualization strategy for much of 2009.
| Today, the Linux vendor is making good on
| that talk with the release of Red Hat
| Enterprise Virtualization for Servers, which
| includes a standalone hypervisor (RHEF-H) as
| well as a management platform (RHEV-M).
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/software/article.php/3846746/Red+Hat+Enterprise+Virtualization+Gets+Managed.htm

Red Hat debuts virtualization management

,----[ Quote ]
| With Tuesday's release of Red Hat Enterprise
| Virtualization Hypervisor and Red Hat
| Enterprise Virtualization Manager (RHEV-M)
| for servers, the company has completed the
| first phase of a server virtualization
| rollout that effectively now puts KVM front
| and center. Red Hat released KVM
| commercially for the first time in September
| as part of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.4.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13556_3-10389647-61.html

Red Hat introduces new virtualisation platform

,----[ Quote ]
| ...will allow organisations to better
| implement
| and manage server virtualisation setups, and
| let administrators manage virtualised server
| deployments based on the Red Hat Enterprise
| Linux platform.
`----

http://www.v3.co.uk/v3/news/2252506/red-hat-introduces

Red Hat's Enterprise Virtualisation released

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Red-Hat-s-Enterprise-Virtualisation-released-849269.html

Initial Reaction: Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization for Servers

,----[ Quote ]
| I haven't seen it mentioned on Slashdot or
| LWN yet... and I even emailed LWN informing
| them... but Red Hat released Red Hat
| Enterprise Virtualization for Servers and
| the accompanying Red Hat Enterprise
| Virtualization Hypervisor products today.
| There are a slew of press releases and demo
| videos. They even had a webcast press
| conference. Oh, and hey, they also released
| all of the manuals too.
`----

http://www.montanalinux.org/rhevfs-initial-reaction.html

Red Hat: We will use virtualisation to target enterprise desktops

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.ameinfo.com/213702.html