[News] Proprietary Software Vendors Turn Nastier

  • Subject: [News] Proprietary Software Vendors Turn Nastier
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 11:30:04 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Software Auditors Crack Down As Recession Bites

,----[ Quote ]
| Software auditors risk becoming "revenue-
| generating" traffic cops as the recession put
| pressure on vendors to collect every penny of
| revenue
`----

http://www.eweekeurope.co.uk/news/software-auditors-crack-down-as-recession-bites-2970

Time to move to Free software.

Recent:

SA bangs piracy drum

,----[ Quote ]
| Most users will simply do without the software or
| switch to something more affordable or even open
| source. A huge part of the problem with software
| is that it is expensive and most users just can't
| afford the price tag. Having a pirated copy is
| nice but not nice enough to convince them to hand
| over thousands of rands to buy a legitimate copy.
`----

http://mybroadband.co.za/news/Software/10099.html

Piracy's global economic impact debated

,----[ Quote ]
| But critics of the study say it fails to account for the possibility that
| pirated software could be replaced with Linux or other open-source options. If
| it were, the BSA's global loss figure of $53 billion would drop sharply, they
| maintain.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/342057/Piracy_s_global_economic_impact_debated?taxonomyId=18

Open Source: One Sure Way To Keep Piracy At Bay

,----[ Quote ]
| The BSA won't tell you that the best way to avoid software piracy is to use
| software that cannot, by definition, be pirated. Then again, the BSA also
| won't tell you that a disgruntled ex-employee decided to make your life
| miserable by giving them a call.
`----

http://www.bmighty.com/blog/main/archives/2009/08/the_software_co.html

Don't Copy That Floppy sequel promises prison beatings for copying

,----[ Quote ]
| The BSA are, of course, big proponents of the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade
| Agreement, which would require signatories to send noncommercial copiers to
| prison, so I suppose that there's something to this threat.
`----

http://www.boingboing.net/2009/07/06/dont-copy-that-flopp-1.html

Is The BSA Purposely Promoting Open Source Alternatives?

,----[ Quote ]
| So, what is the BSA doing? Yes, that's right, it's pumping up its software
| audit program, sending 1,000 audit letters to companies in London, officially
| demanding they detail their software usage -- while unofficially acting as a
| tremendous advertisement for open source software, where providers don't
| treat their customers as if they were criminals.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090602/2302305104.shtml

How many billions is open-source software worth?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/how_many_billions_is_open_source_software_worth