[News] [Rival] New Microsoft Patch Makes Microsoft Office Worse, IT Business Recommends OpenOffice.org as Remedy

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] New Microsoft Patch Makes Microsoft Office Worse, IT Business Recommends OpenOffice.org as Remedy
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 04:29:45 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Microsoft ships Office 2007 patch to meet court deadline

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft on Wednesday posted an update for Word 2007 that ditches
| the custom XML tagging technology a federal court banned the company
| from including in its software after Jan. 10.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9143284/Microsoft_ships_Office_2007_patch_to_meet_court_deadline

Microsoft issues patch to remove i4i custom tags

http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2010/01/08/239886/microsoft-issues-patch-to-remove-i4i-custom-tags.htm

Microsoft Word update to skip the UK

,----[ Quote ]
| An update to Microsoft Word that will remove some XML functionality
| will not be provided to British users, Microsoft has confirmed.
`----

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39963332,00.htm

Patent roulette

,----[ Quote ]
| Industry observers have expressed concern over the
| proliferation of software process patents since they
| became generally accepted in the mid-nineties, and
| some of the most egregious abusers of the over-burdened
| system have been the large, lawyered-up industry giants
| like Apple, Google, and Microsoft. The recent
| spectacle of Microsoft being hoisted by its own
| petard has provoked considerable glee in some
| circles, but that's not why I find it interesting.
| Rather, it illustrates that, increasingly, conventional
| on-premises software is becoming just another subset of
| Software as a Service (SaaS).
`----

http://www.cio-weblog.com/50226711/patent_roulette.php

Eye for an eye - Lessons learned from Microsoft's patent debacle

,----[ Quote ]
| I also find it more than a little funny to see how Microsoft was
| crying about how unfair it all was not just to Microsoft but, as
| Microsoft's lawyers put it at the time, to all the little people
| out there "who require new copies of Office and Word would be
| stranded without an alternative set of software." Microsoft's
| attorneys also claimed that the situation would be a "major
| public disruption," and would "have an effect on the public
| due to the public's undisputed and enormous reliance on those products."
|
| Cry me a river. OpenOffice works just fine and it's free to boot.
`----

http://www.itbusiness.ca/it/client/en/home/News.asp?id=55934

Patent Litigation Weekly: Jurors Explain Why They Ruled Against Microsoft
in $290 Million i4i Infringement Trial

http://www.law.com/jsp/tal/digestTAL.jsp?id=1202437808477&Patent_Litigation_Weekly_Jurors_Explain_Why_They_Ruled_Against_Microsoft_in__Million_ii_Infringement_Trial

Recent:

Another Year, Another Microsoft Job Targeting FOSS

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is up to its old tricks in the new
| year, as evidenced by a recent job posting for
| anti-FOSS personnel. This time, the thing that
| has Redmond sweating is what appears to be a
| mass migration of students to OpenOffice. And
| why wouldn't they? "It's free-as-in-beer and
| good enough -- much better than the Microsoft
| Works that came on their computer," noted
| Slashdot blogger David Masover.
`----

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/Another-Year-Another-Microsoft-Job-Targeting-FOSS-69050.html

Danish Schoolchildren Complaints About OpenOffice

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://anotherubuntu.blogspot.com/2010/01/danish-schoolchildren-complaints-about.html