[News] Microsoft Sales Fall 50% (!!!) in the Gulf, Jordan Says "No" to Microsoft

  • Subject: [News] Microsoft Sales Fall 50% (!!!) in the Gulf, Jordan Says "No" to Microsoft
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 05:11:24 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Microsoft sees Gulf sales crash

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoftâs sales in the Gulf have fallen
| by more than 50 per cent since July as the
| recession has hit computer hardware and
| software purchases, the companyâs regional
| general manager said.
`----

http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100107/BUSINESS/701079952/1005

The Minister Said No

,----[ Quote ]
| The Ministry had already spent $13 Million
| in the last 3 years to purchase Microsoft
| products, for which the support ended last
| year and Microsoft hoped to renew the
| contract for the next three years. In the
| tender issued by the Ministry, three major
| Microsoft partners were ready to compete,
| namely STS, UTS and Optimiza.
|
| [...]
|
| In addition to this agreement, the former
| Minister also had a really scary idea about
| having all the government's computers
| (including the schools and other public
| organization) within a huge proprietary cloud
| run by Microsoft. The project -if it will take
| place- will give an end to any efforts to push
| open source in the public sector.
|
| Anyway, things seem better now with Juma: he
| was the director of the Information Technology
| Association of Jordan (int@j), one of the few
| organizations that promoted Open Source and
| held related events in Jordan the last few
| years and rumors are spreading about
| cooperations between the government and one of
| the major Open Source vendors... We cross our
| fingers and see.
`----

http://jordanopensource.org/blog/minister-said-no

Recent:

[Windows Revenue Down from $4.28bn last year to Just $2.62bn!!]

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/10/23/microsoft_quarterly_losses/