[News] Future is Mobile, Not Desktop (and Linux is on Path to Domination)

  • Subject: [News] Future is Mobile, Not Desktop (and Linux is on Path to Domination)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 00:29:06 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Ubuntu v. Macintosh and Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| I really think the future is mobile and
| Microsoft understands that well and is
| positioned to support that with mobile devices.
| Ubuntu and Linux in general is mobile oriented
| too. Motorola, Google and a host of other
| vendors are or have developed mobile devices
| using Linux and Apple Mac while cool is really a
| desktop OS and although the OS is inexpensive at
| $29 a copy it is very proprietary after that
| point. Their real mistake in my opinion is not
| opening up their platform like Microsoft did
| with Windows, but thatâs because they are
| desktop or laptop oriented.
`----

http://countrycontemplative.wordpress.com/2010/01/10/1963/

Recent:

Demand for Android phones makes 'monstrous' 250% jump

,----[ Quote ]
| A "monstrous" jump in demand for Android-
| equipped smartphones has turned the market
| upside down, a retail pollster said today.
|
| Of the people who told ChangeWave Research
| in a mid-December survey that they planned
| to buy a smartphone in the next 90 days,
| 21% said they expected to purchase a
| handset powered by Google's Android
| operating system. That number represented
| a 250% increase over the 6% that pegged
| Android as their mobile OS of choice when
| ChangeWave last queried consumers' plans
| in September.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9143027/Demand_for_Android_phones_makes_monstrous_250_jump

Survey Shows Android Gaining Smartphone Ground

,----[ Quote ]
| Google's Android mobile operating system
| is finally picking up a little steam,
| according to a recent survey. ChangeWave
| Research polled over 4,000 consumers in
| mid-December and found that 4 percent of
| respondents who own a smartphone now use
| Android--that's up from a measly 1 percent
| in the previous September 2009 survey.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/185806/survey_shows_android_gaining_smartphone_ground.html?tk=rss_news

Android vs. iPhone: Let's Get Ready to Rumble

,----[ Quote ]
| The study, based on a survey of about
| 4,000 consumers, shows interest in Android
| nearly tripling from September to December
| of 2009. In September, about 6 percent of
| respondents said an Android phone was in
| their future. By December, that number was
| up to 21 percent.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/185830/Android_vs_iPhone_Lets_Get_Ready_to_Rumble.html?tk=rss_news

Five Predictions for Google's Nexus One

,----[ Quote ]
| There has been a frenzy of rumors
| circulating about Google's foray into the
| mobile handset market since it was first
| discovered that Google might be working on
| such a device. Based on the prevailing
| rumors and speculation, here are five
| predictions for what we can expect from
| the Nexus One.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/blogs/bizfeed/185837/five_predictions_for_googles_nexus_one.html?tk=rss_news

Mobile Game-Changers: What to Keep Your Eye on in 2010

,----[ Quote ]
| Android: The New Smartphone Superstar
| Will Apple own mobile applications?
| Perhaps, but with the launch of the Android
| OS and some slick devices: Droid, HTC
| Dream, HTC Eris and the much anticipated
| Nexus One expect more developers to take
| advantage of the openness of this new
| platform. Having the ability to push apps
| live without an approval process, make
| quick updates and leverage open source,
| along with some very cool mobile features
| like the accelerometer and a larger
| developer community, will certainly put
| Android in the race for the most popular
| mobile OS.
`----

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/krishna-subramanian/mobile-game-changers-what_b_410027.html

Review: Motorola Milestone

,----[ Quote ]
| If you've somehow managed to get through
| the festive period without picking up a new
| phone and you have some change in your
| pocket to use to that end, there are many
| things to love about the Motorola
| Milestone, one of the strongest new
| contenders to the iPhone's well-deserved
| crown.
|
| Engineered to incorporate the Google-backed
| Android operating system, there's some
| impressive hardware behind efforts to fully
| realize Google's vision for mobile
| computing and telephony, delivered through
| a clean and responsive 3.7-inch touchscreen
| and powered by a 550 Mhz processor which
| helps clear up the speed issues which
| troubled earlier Android handsets.
|
| [...]
|
| For the advantages over an iPhone, the list
| is a long one - a superior camera, for a
| start, as well as the ability to run apps
| in the background - so that you can, for
| example, write an email while listening to
| music (the phone incorporates a standard
| headphone jack, and filling it with your
| favourite mp3s is a breeze). But it lacks
| the polish that an Apple product delivers,
| and, at Â450 for the hardware alone, is
| certainly on the pricey side - on top of
| that you're going to need an unlimited data
| plan to even scratch the surface of the
| phone's potential, as well as minutes and
| texts.
`----

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/features/review-motorola-milestone-1857308.html

Adaptive Digital Technologies Joins Arm Solution Center for Android

,----[ Quote ]
| Adaptive Digital has been providing VoIP
| solutions to the industry for over fifteen
| years to eighty-five customers who deploy
| equipment worldwide. By participating in
| the ARM Solution Center for Android, and
| making available the anVoip voice engine
| for Android, Adaptive Digital has placed
| itself in a strategic position to provide
| its mature, field-hardened VoIP software to
| the exploding market of Android-based
| handsets, Mobile Internet Devices (MIDS)
| and Netbooks.
`----

http://www.newswiretoday.com/news/62757/

OS war - Android on its way

http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2010/01/03/4554903.htm

The Androidification of Everything

,----[ Quote ]
| The bigger indicator of momentum for Android
| is the excitement it has generated in the
| semiconductor industry. EETimes reports
| that, in addition to chip companies ARM and
| MIPS, semiconductor design firms such as
| Aricent and Mentor Graphics have established
| special Android-focused businesses.
| Freescale Semiconductor is working on an
| Android-based netbook design, as is
| Qualcomm.
`----

http://gigaom.com/2009/12/30/the-androidification-of-everything/

Android Phones to Challenge iPhone Supremacy

,----[ Quote ]
| Now bitter industry rival SK Telecom is
| looking to generate just as much buzz by
| getting out of the gate early on premium
| phones powered by the Google-backed Android
| operating system.
|
| SK Telecom, the country's biggest mobile
| telephony operator, currently plans to release
| its first Android phone, produced by Motorola,
| sometime around mid-January, industry sources
| said.
`----

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/biz/2009/12/123_58177.html

T-Mobile G1 To Get Android OS Upgrade?

,----[ Quote ]
| AndroidSpin, an Android focused news site, has
| reported that the very first Android based
| smartphone, the T-Mobile G1, will be getting
| an over-the-air update.
|
| This will upgrade its software with Android
| 2.0 or possibly Android 2.1, which
| incidentally is the operating system of soon-
| to-launch Nexus One also know as the Google
| Phone.
`----

http://www.itproportal.com/portal/news/article/2009/12/29/t-mobile-g1-get-android-os-upgrade/

First android-based tablet pc for india

,----[ Quote ]
| Notion Ink, a Hyderabad-based technology
| start-up, has developed the first touchscreen
| tablet which uses Googleâs open source
| operating system Android, Nvidiaâs yet-to-be
| launched Tegra processor chips and a power-
| saving display screen from the US-based
| fabless developer Pixel Qi.
`----

http://www.business-standard.com/india/news/first-android-based-tablet-pc-for-india/380542/

Android is big in the mobile OS game

,----[ Quote ]
| ACCORDING TO STATISTICS from Comscore,
| Google's Android OS has made a quick and big
| impression on US mobile users.
|
| User statistics compiled by the firm show
| that Android has had an impact on Americans
| already and is the second most popular
| platform for accessing social media sites
| and mobile media.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1566683/android-mobile-os-game

Forrester: Google Android Smartphones to Take 10% of Market in 2010

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.cio.com/article/511783/Forrester_Google_Android_Smartphones_to_Take_10_of_Market_in_2010?source=rss_news