[News] [Rival] Novell's Microsoft Monster is Polluting Planet GNOME

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Novell's Microsoft Monster is Polluting Planet GNOME
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 01:23:07 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Silverlight Promotion on Planet GNOME

,----[ Quote ]
| Note that you are directed to press the âClick to Installâ button, which does not
| exist. Oh, Novell â truly it is all worth it for the wonders you have wrought.
| You are indeed bringing Linux users around the world the Real MicrosoftÂâ
| Experience. I had nearly forgotten the endlessly retarded bullshit one
| had to deal with just by turning on the computer when running Microsoft
| Windows â and 800X that hassle when running Internet Explorer â but
| Novell is bringing it all to Linux! Huzzah!
|
| And, so what if it causes a minor stir in the community â who cares what
| it took to get where we are today anyway? This is truly important
| stuff! Damn the principles, full speed ahead to Redmond!
`----

http://www.the-source.com/2010/01/silverlight-promotion-on-planet-gnome/

Why you should use OpenGL and not DirectX

,----[ Quote ]
| What bizarro world indeed where people are going crazy
| over Microsoftâs latest whatever and actively denouncing
| competitors? (Some bizarro world-residing promoters of
| Banshee and Tomboy  mayhaps?)
|
| The thing I like the most about the article is not only
| does it lay out reasons for preferring an Open Standard,
| it lists and documents how Microsoft promotes DirectX
| (like all their products):
|
|    1. Network effects and vicious cycles
|    2. FUD about OpenGL and Vista
|    3. Misleading marketing campaigns
|
| I note with some interest that Microsoft leaving the
| OpenGL Architecture Review Board is noted as a FUD
| tactic. This one of the flip sides of having Microsoft
| âget on boardâ with you â if they leave it sends a
| powerful negative message. Pay attention SVG Working
| Group.
`----

http://www.the-source.com/2010/01/why-you-should-use-opengl-and-not-directx/

Dealing With The Real Issue

,----[ Quote ]
| While it's great to see Microsoft finally joining the SVG
| WG after all these years, let's not forget (as this
| article does) that they were involved at the beginning
| and it was their unforgivable NIH attitude in rejecting
| the decision of the WG not to use Microsoft's
| contribution that has kept vector graphics from being a
| web technology for a decade. Imagine what could have
| evolved by now had they not listened to their greed and
| control-lust and instead worked with everyone to perfect
| web vector graphics. Even still I can't help myself
| wondering if they have joined the WG to snuff it out by
| over-activity.
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/webmink/entry/links_for_2010_01_08

Recent:

About MONO and lack of respect for personal opinions.

,----[ Quote ]
| Earlier today I was astonished to find out
| FOSDEM will have a MONO devroom. When I
| reacted to this on identica stating this
| was not a good idea. Reinout van Schouwen
| reacted saying âWe should strongly
| support !freesoftware, no matter what
| platform it is written for or what language
| is used.â
|
| I pointed out to him that ââfreeâ software
| can never be written in a non-free
| languageâ. I could have expected to get the
| typical MONO-evangelistâs answer: âStop
| spreading #FUD, please. http://www.mono-
| project.com/Languagesâ, so I replied with a
| quote from MS: âEvery piece of code written
| to our standards is a small victoryâ.
|
| Apparently Mr van Schouwen didnât get my
| point and dragged dear old RMS into the
| discussion: âSo youâd rather have no
| !freesoftware at all than FS written to MS
| standards? Even #RMS knows better than
| that.â and when I pointed out his mistake:
| âmaybe you should read again and try to
| understand what I wroteââ, he quickly sent
| me a final message: âMaybe you should
| address facts and arguments instead of
| evading them with transparent rhetoric.
| #endofdiscussionâ.
|
| [...]
|
| I hope to have given you a basic idea, Mr
| van Schouwen, about my personal opinion
| about MONO. Now, even if you disagree,
| would it be asked too much to respect my
| opinion?
`----

http://martijn.sudo-s.net/content/about-mono-and-lack-respect-personal-opinions

What's a SUSE?

,----[ Quote ]
| This tacitly recognises the validity of
| Microsoft's software patents, and
| strengthens the latter's hand when dealing
| with other players in the open source
| world. Those patent problems have been
| exacerbated by the Mono project, âan open
| source, cross-platform, implementation of
| C# and the CLR that is binary compatible
| with Microsoft.NETâ, which is sponsored by
| Novell, and led by Miguel de Icaza, who is
| employed by Novell.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=2676&blogid=14

NOME in .NET? â Not on my desktop!

,----[ Quote ]
| I believe the weapon of Mono is to âget Linux users hookedâ to the .net
| environment, always offering the superior and more mature version on the
| Windows platform.  Just like when you first tried alcohol you would probably
| start off on lighter products until you acquired a taste for it, progressing
| later in life to liking stronger spirits.  With Windows having
| the âdefinitive versionâ and users hooked or caught in the .net, Microsoft
| could effectively remove or hold to ransom the addiction of using .net from
| non-Windows users.  Just an idea, but from a PR standpoint IMO  it would seem
| far more viable than MONO being used to trick people into installing
| Microsoft patent infested code.
`----

http://openbytes.wordpress.com/2009/08/25/gnome-in-net-not-on-my-desktop/

Mono for Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| What we have here is a MonoTouch
| application for the iPhone covering a
| Microsoft conference and advertising Team
| Monoâs booth at the same conference for
| those that âdonât have a Macâ.
|
| Why exactly is this garbage on Planet
| GNOME and Planet SUSE? (I can understand
| Planet GNOME, since GNOME seems to have
| largely adopted the Venerable Ostrich
| Position on Mono) Do people not get tired
| of the pro-Mono / pro-Microsoft messaging
| that has nothing to do with Linux?
|
| At least Team Mono used to pretend there
| was some benefit for Linux from Mono,
| lately much/most of the messaging has
| absolutely nothing to do with Linux.
|
| [...]
|
| Of course, Microsoft rewards its
| collaborators when it suits them, so Peter
| Galli has written âMicrosoft and Novell:
| Three Years and Going Strongâ where he
| gives the lapdog a small treat, and
| doesnât miss a chance to talk up
| intellectual âpeace of mindâ . This is a
| disgustingly popular code phrase for âUse
| Microsoft-approved software or we just
| might sue youâ. Microsoft and Novell love
| to brandish a bit of IP FUD about,
| especially if they can wield it against
| Red Hat.
|
| I like to point out another way of looking
| at âThree Years and Going Strongâ: the
| Novell-Microsoft deal is just as offensive
| and anti-community today as it was the day
| it was signed. The reasons for opposing
| the deal are just as valid today as they
| were three years ago. The people that
| walked away from Novell three years ago
| were right to do so, and anyone that
| chooses to do so today is equally