[News] Intellectual Monopolies - When S* Hits the Fan

  • Subject: [News] Intellectual Monopolies - When S* Hits the Fan
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 16:55:19 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Tintin copyrights go to war against Tintin fans

,----[ Quote ]
| The British lawyer who married the widow of Tintin creator Hergà
| has successfully sued Bob Garcia ("a detective novelist, jazz
| musician and Tintin aficionado") for Â35,000 for printing five
| short essays in appreciation of Tintin, two of which were
| illustrated with brief clips from the comic. The
| essays were distributed for free, and the two
| pamphlets with Tintin illustrations were printed
| about 500 times each.
`----

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/01/11/tintin-copyrights-go.html

Cory Doctorow: Close Enough for Rock 'n' Roll

,----[ Quote ]
| If the Internet has a motif, it is rock 'n' roll's
| Protestant Reformation thrashing against the orchestral
| One Church. Rock 'n' roll gets lots of wee kirks
| built in every hill and dale in which parishioners can
| find religion in their own ways; choral music erects
| majestic cathedrals that humble and amaze, but take three
| generations of laborers to build.
|
| [...]
|
| But what does it cost to publish something half
| as good as Newsweek, say, the Huffington Post? Sure,
| HuffPo has brought in about $20MM in venture capital,
| but ignore that sum â that's how much they can sweet
| talk out of the world of finance. I'm talking about how
| much capital it cost to build and operate HuffPo. A tiny,
| unmeasurable fraction of what it cost to build and run Newsweek.
`----

http://www.locusmag.com/Perspectives/2010/01/cory-doctorow-close-enough-for-rock-n.html

Music companies want Pirate Bay founders to pay fine

,----[ Quote ]
| The Stockholm District Court should decide that two of
| The Pirate Bay's founders have to pay a fine since the
| file-sharing site is still open and they are still
| involved, according to a recent filing from the music
| industry.
`----

http://www.techworld.com.au/article/332054/music_companies_want_pirate_bay_founders_pay_fine?fp=2&fpid=1&rid=1

Fahrenheit 451â Book burning as done by lawyers

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.thepublicdomain.org/2009/12/31/fahrenheit-451-book-burning-as-done-by-lawyers/