[News] California Further Embraces Free Software

  • Subject: [News] California Further Embraces Free Software
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 17:03:03 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

California goes Open Source?

,----[ Quote ]
| Yes, California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
| has passed a budget plan which proposes
| inclusion of Open Source software in areas
| like health care, prison and many other to
| bring down costs by considerable amounts. A
| policy letter issued last week by CIO Teri
| Takai says ,
|
|     the use of Open Source Software (OSS) in
|     California state government [has now been
|     formally established] as an acceptable
|     practice.
|
| California reportedly faces a budget deficit
| of $20 billion, which Open Source software can
| hardly address but we can hope for something
| good to come out of this.
`----

http://techie-buzz.com/opensource/california-goes-open-source.html

Recent:

Are Open Source Textbooks Poised for Their Day in the Sun?

,----[ Quote ]
| Now, though, there are some signs that Flat World Knowledge's effort is
| paying off. Wired reports that more than 40,000 college students at more than
| 400 colleges will use digital, DRM-free textbooks from the company as the
| school year starts in a matter of days, and that's up from 1,000 in 30
| colleges in the Spring.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/are-open-source-textbooks-poised-for-their-day-in-the-sun

FlexBooks Challenge Textbooks, at No Cost to Students or Schools

,----[ Quote ]
| It is not clear if this is truly an altruistic endeavor. Perhaps the founders
| â who come from the Silicon Valley technology world â are giving away books
| in order to sell software at a later date. But for now, it is an experiment
| that could help bring down the cost of textbooks. And weâre going to keep an
| eye on it.
`----

http://schoolingtoday.com/wordpress/flexbooks-challenge-textbooks-at-no-cost-to-students-or-schools/

Open-Source Textbooks a Mixed Bag in California

,----[ Quote ]
| As California moves forward with the first open-source digital textbook
| program in the nation this fall, the best content seems a lot less like
| Wikipedia and a lot more like traditional publishing.
`----

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=open-source-textbooks-mixed-bag-california

Gov. Schwarzenegger Releases Free Digital Textbook Initiative Phase 1 Report

,----[ Quote ]
| Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger today released the first report of
| Californiaâs free digital textbook initiative - which outlines how high
| school math and science textbooks submitted under the first phase of the
| initiative measure up against the stateâs rigorous academic content
| standards. Of the 16 free digital textbooks for high school math and science
| reviewed, ten meet at least 90 percent of Californiaâs standards. Four meet
| 100 percent of standards, including the CK-12 Foundationâs CK-12 Single
| Variable Calculus, CK-12 Trigonometry, CK-12 Chemistry and Dr. H. Jerome
| Keislerâs Elementary Calculus: An Infinitesimal Approach.
`----

http://gov.ca.gov/press-release/12996/

As textbook costs stack up, interest grows in e-books

,----[ Quote ]
| âWhen Pluto becomes not a planet, you can fix it very quickly,â said Rich
| Baraniuk, an engineering professor at Rice University who pioneered the field
| of open source class materials. âIt's going to take a decade to get Pluto out
| of all the nation's printed science books.â
`----

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6574256.html

Open source, digital textbooks coming to California schools

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/06/open-source-digital-textbooks-coming-to-california-schools.ars