[News] Windows Site Writes Positively About Desktop GNU/Linux

  • Subject: [News] Windows Site Writes Positively About Desktop GNU/Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 12:07:58 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Editorial: Observations on Linux's Future

,----[ Quote ]
| Note that three items I did not bring up are
| cost, stability or security. While Linux is
| obtainable for free, that has never been the
| feature that the FSF promotes (though many
| users and individuals will bring this up as
| an important point in their opinion). In
| fact, the GPL specifically provides for
| charging for distributing and copying Linux,
| and calls it out as a protected right under
| the GPL.
|
| [...]
|
| Linux is strong in so many markets. Yet, the
| market most visible to the average consumer,
| the desktop, has eluded a Linux presence, for
| the most part. Is it because Linux is
| complex? No, not really. Using Linux is much
| like using Windows. My kids' friends have no
| problems using my PC. Administering Linux is
| quite a bit different, though. And that is
| what people are really saying when they talk
| about "using Linux is complex". But being
| different or new does not make it more
| complex. Alas, that is likely a topic for a
| different time and place.
`----

http://www.neowin.net/news/main/10/01/12/observations-on-linux39s-future

HP Pavillion dm1-1020ez - Oops, I did it again!

,----[ Quote ]
| When I went to install Linux, I found that HP
| and Microsoft have now found a way to use all
| four available diskpartitions - one for the
| Windows bootloader (don't ask me why, I don't
| understand), one for Windows 7, one for
| Recovery, and one for HP Tools. So the first
| thing I had to do was make a set of recovery
| DVDs, so I could delete the Recovery
| partition and create an Extended Partition to
| hold the Linux distributions. That took well
| over an hour, to create three DVDs. Once that
| was done, I was ready to install Linux...
`----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10014841o-2000498448b,00.htm

Recent:

NeoWin reporter impartial? - I SUSEpect not!

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://openbytes.wordpress.com/2009/04/08/neowin-reporter-impartial-i-susepect-not/