[News] More Linux Phones Surface at CES 2010

New Toys: Interesting Mobile Linux Devices at CES

,----[ Quote ]
| The first smartphones based on Intel's
| Moorestown, the Mini 5 with Android and the
| Lenovo LePhone: the mobile Linux highlights
| from this year's Consumer Electronics Show.
|
| After Intel announced that it would optimize
| Moblin 2.1 as the mobile phone operating
| system, it was only a matter of time that
| actual devices hit the market. The CES in Las
| Vegas revealed that at least two companies
| announced such a device: the GW990 from LG
| and a smartphone from the Finnish startup
| Aava Mobile.
`----

http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/News/New-Toys-Interesting-Mobile-Linux-Devices-at-CES

Motorola Backflip Android phone

,----[ Quote ]
| As well as Google's open source OS it also
| runs Motorola's own Motoblur interface which
| provides quick and easy access to all your
| social network contacts.
`----

http://www.webuser.co.uk/products/gadget-blog/portable/mobile-phones/437762/motorola-backflip-android-phone

Superphone smackdown: Nexus One vs. Nokia N900

,----[ Quote ]
| For those who use T-Mobile in the US,
| choosing a new, unlocked smartphone isn't
| easy lately. The Nokia N900 and Nexus One
| both work on T-Mobile's US 3G network and on
| 3G networks in Europe and Asia. Each runs a
| sparkly new OS and has high end specs. I
| personally have a T-Mobile account and with
| both phones in house, find it hard to pick a
| favorite. From emails I've received, I know
| I'm not alone, so I've compiled a comparison
| list that might help you decide between these
| two superphones.
`----

http://www.mobiletechreview.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=35653

Recent:

Smartphonesâ ecosystem dilemma

,----[ Quote ]
| Why  is the Motorola Droid apparently
| gaining traction in the smartphone market,
| when Microsoft and Nokia are failing so
| miserably?
|
| The Droid, built on Googleâs Android mobile
| operating system, sold 250,000 in its first
| week on the market. Thatâs way behind the
| 1.6 million iPhone 3Gs sold in the first
| week after its launch, but itâs still enough
| for Motorola to see possible salvation after
| years of decline and for Google to feel
| self-congratulatory about its venture into
| mobile.
`----

http://blogs.reuters.com/commentaries/2009/11/20/the-ecosystem-dilemma/

How Microsoft blew it with Windows Mobile

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Windows continues to dominate the
| PC market with a 90 percent market-share
| stronghold, but when it comes to
| smartphones, Microsoft is getting beat up
| worse than a mustachioed villain in a Jackie
| Chan movie.
|
| Windows Mobile has lost nearly a third of
| its smartphone market share since 2008,
| research firm Gartner reports. Windows
| Mobile had 11 percent of the global
| smartphone market in the third quarter of
| 2008, according to Gartner, and last quarter
| Windows Mobile's market share plummeted to
| 7.9 percent.
`----

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/TECH/11/19/microsoft.windows.mobile/

Microsoft loses more mobile share, RIM looks resilient

http://www.rethink-wireless.com/2009/11/16/microsoft-loses-mobile-share-rim-looks-resilient.htm

Microsoft risks losing its grip in smartphone revolution

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2009/1120/1224259174116.html

Windows Mobile loses nearly a third of market share

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/communications/0,1000000085,39877964,00.htm