[News] Software Patents Stifled in New Zealand

  • Subject: [News] Software Patents Stifled in New Zealand
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 13:32:02 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Further delays en route to New Zealand's new Patents Act

,----[ Quote ]
| Indeed, most of the submissions made
| publicly-available relate either to software
| patents (the Bill proposes to allow these,
| subject to a âtechnical effectâ ...
`----

http://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=a92cbaec-bcc3-42a8-9f29-ef45ac364db4

Clean Films and Government Permission

,----[ Quote ]
| In a previous post, I noted the arbitrariness
| of copyright law in prohibiting editing a DVD
| to take out objectionable scenes, when
| presumably it would be legal to accomplish
| the same thing by other means-e.g., as I
| pointed out in a legal forum, by providing
| instructions to users to use to program a
| special DVD player that edits out the bad
| scenes "on the fly" in the user's home.
`----

http://www.againstmonopoly.org/index.php?perm=593056000000002263

IP Trends

,----[ Quote ]
| A Swedish libertarian buddy, Johan
| Ridenfeldt, pointed me to this article (in
| Swedish), which describes libertarian
| (liberal) arguments against intellectual
| property, and also includes a review of the
| debate in Nyliberalen (The Neoliberal). He
| wrote, "I find this very positive. I'm
| involved (somewhat) in politics, and I have
| noticed that most of the libertarian young
| ones agree with us on IP [i.e., that it is
| problematic and unlibertarian]. This was not
| the case when I first started quoting you
| back when your Against IP article was in
| draft [in 2000 or so]. I used to post and
| recommend your working paper draft, and back
| then I was pretty alone in my views."
`----

http://www.againstmonopoly.org/index.php?perm=593056000000002264

Majority of U.S. patents awarded to foreign countries for second consecutive year

,----[ Quote ]
| According to IFI Patent Intelligence, a
| Wolters Kluwer Health business, the U.S.
| Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) issues a
| total of 167,350 utility patents in calendar
| year 2009, a 6.1% increase over 2008 and
| nearing the "all-time high" of 173,772 set in
| 2006. Forty-nine percent of those patents
| landed with U.S. firms, while 51% went to
| foreign companies, marking the second
| consecutive year U.S. companies lagged
| behind. Yet IFI Patent Intelligence points
| out that U.S. companies received about 7%
| more patents in 2009 than in 2008, while
| foreign firms experienced a 6.5% increase
| during the same time.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2010/011210-patents-foreign-countries.html

Recent:

Open source making its mark in NZ

,----[ Quote ]
| Kiwi firms are finally latching on to open
| source software, early survey results show.
|
| The survey is part of the Public Sector
| Remix project to investigate the use of
| free open source software on public sector
| desktops, and seeks to identify the number
| and capability of New Zealand companies
| providing and supporting the software.
|
| Fourteen central and local government
| agencies are on board, including NZ Post
| and the Department of the Prime Minister
| and Cabinet.
|
| John Rankin, director of project management
| firm Affinity, which is running the survey
| along with Victoria University's school of
| information management, says the results
| may dispel some myths.
`----

http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/3155595/Open-source-making-its-mark-in-NZ

Brett Roberts to leave Microsoft

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/E0F73B16E19D0D0DCC25768800092DF1

Microsoft NZ restructures for tougher climate

http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/microsoft-nz-restructures-tougher-climate-116251

Microsoft NZ senior manager quits

,----[ Quote ]

`----