Re: [News] [Rival] British Government Shills for Microsoft

____/ Mark Kent on Thursday 14 Jan 2010 13:21 : \____

>> Government Plugs Microsoft With Online Training Course
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| The government is promoting Microsoft's
>>| proprietary software as part of a plan to get
>>| more UK adults online, despite arguing for
>>| greater adoption of open source in the past
>>|
>>| [...]
>>|
>>| Some open source supporters may object to
>>| elements of the new scheme however as, although
>>| the Online Basics course is supposed to be an
>>| independent education project, the site contains
>>| a link to Microsoft's own learning network â
>>| Microsoft Digital Literacy â which includes
>>| guidance on how to use Microsoft products. In
>>| February 2009, the UK government said it
>>| intended to use open source to save Â600 million
>>| a year and published guidelines the that effect
>>| but, despite this, the UK lags badly at open
>>| source, using it less than countries like Mali,
>>| open source activists said at a meeting in
>>| September.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.eweekeurope.co.uk/news/government-plugs-microsoft-with-online-training-course-2995
>>
>> Home Access programme goes national
>>
>> http://www.computing.co.uk/computing/analysis/2255981/home-access-programme-goes
>>
>> Will there be Free software?
>>

> The problem here is that those folk in HMG making these decisions have
> so little technical knowledge that they are readily bamboozled by
> salespeople from Microsoft and elsewhere.
>
> Sadly, here, the money involved helps to maintain the corruption.

It turns out now that Microsoft is involved here (and BECTA of course).

- --
		~~ Best of wishes

It is not I who seek the young fool; The young fool seeks me.
At the first oracle I inform him. If he asks two or three times, it is
importunity. If he importunes, I give him no information. -- I Ching
Tasks: 140 total,   1 running, 139 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie