[News] Coalitions in Europe Promote "Free Software", Linus Speaks About Lockin/Properietary Formats

  • Subject: [News] Coalitions in Europe Promote "Free Software", Linus Speaks About Lockin/Properietary Formats
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 21:41:18 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

EP Intergroup: In Europe Left and Right for Free Software!

,----[ Quote ]
| An intergroup on "New Media, Free Software
| and Open Information Society" was
| established in the European Parliament with
| the support of a wide range of political
| groups (EPP, ALDE/ADLE and Greens/EFA). Free
| Software promoters April (FR) and
| Associazione per il Software Libero (IT)
| welcome this decision that opens up the
| European Parliament to embracing the digital
| revolution.
`----

http://www.april.org/en/ep-intergroup-in-europe-left-and-right-free-software

Embroidery.. gaah

,----[ Quote ]
| I wonder what those embroidery machine
| firmware people were thinking. No diagnostics,
| no nothing. If a design is too large for the
| hoop of the machine, the machine accepts it
| (no "Data Error"), but doesn't actually show
| or use the design - it just silently ignores
| it.
|
| Whee. Undocumented formats, bad firmware, lack
| of sane error messages. And did I mention
| crazy interfaces? The embroidery machine
| itself shows up as a USB storage device when
| you connect it, except it for some reason
| takes about half a minute to calm down enough
| to be mounted. And forget about the embroidery
| card reader/writer - that one needs some magic
| USB driver too.
`----

http://torvalds-family.blogspot.com/2010/01/embroidery-gaah.html

Recent:

Colosa Joins Open Source for America: Publicly Advocates Open Source Within
U.S. Federal Government

,----[ Quote ]
| Colosa, developer of open source business process management (BPM) software,
| ProcessMaker (www.processmaker.com), has joined Open Source for America, a
| broad cross-section of more than 70 companies, academic institutions,
| communities, related groups and individuals that serve as a unified voice for
| the promotion of open source in the U.S. Federal government sector.
`----

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/colosa-joins-open-source-for,919091.shtml

Three Quick Open Source in Defense Links (and then one other)

,----[ Quote ]
| Next week I'll be participating in the inaugural Military Open Source
| Software Working Group Conference in Atlanta Georgia. Open source conferences
| that focus on the defense market are often salesy, have a dearth of actual
| developers, and tend toward sartorial blandness - a sea of dark blue suits
| worn by open source vendor sales people so they can convince hesitant buyers
| that their wares are just like the other guys. Look, we even license it by
| the seat!
`----

http://radar.oreilly.com/2009/08/three-quick-open-source-in-def.html

Come Fly With Me: Progress FUSE to Power FAA's Air Transportation System

,----[ Quote ]
| Another key factor in the FAAâs decision to select Progress Software, other
| than the technical and economic reasons, was Progress' ability to deliver
| open source solutions backed by a comprehensive support services division.
| Open Source and SOA are both relatively new concepts to large parts of the
| FAAâs IT organization, and the FAA will rely on Progress Professional
| Services to assist with this formidable education challenge. The Progress
| Education Department is currently delivering a variety of training measures
| at various FAA locations, tailored to the specific needs of the participating
| SIPs.
`----

http://www.ebizq.net/news/11574.html

Bureaucrats, Technocrats and Policy Cats: How the Government is turning to Open
Source, and Why.

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://en.oreilly.com/oscon2009/public/schedule/detail/8384