[News] Censorship Resisted in the UK, But Only for Foreigners

  • Subject: [News] Censorship Resisted in the UK, But Only for Foreigners
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 22:01:47 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

MPs call on IT companies to follow Google and stop Chinese censorship

,----[ Quote ]
| Watson has applauded Google's plans to stop
| censoring the internet in Chinaafter it
| discovered evidence of Chinese cyber attacks
| and surveillance of human rights activists.
|
| He said in a blog post: "We should all
| applaud them for this brave corporate move.
| And we should also use their lead to put
| pressure on other technology companies to
| stop all this nonsense once and for all.
| Apple should go next. They should refuse to
| censor the Dalai Lama applications from
| their App store."
`----

http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2010/01/14/239957/MPs-call-on-IT-companies-to-follow-Google-and-stop-Chinese.htm

Ignore Islam4UK, donât ban them

,----[ Quote ]
| In a democratic society, the decision to ban
| an organization when it is not directly
| responsible for violence is deeply
| controversial. Any such decision is surely
| not taken lightly. However, the Home Office
| proscription of the group Islam4UK announced
| today will only serve to undermine the
| governmentâs effort to prevent violent
| extremism.
`----

http://www.opendemocracy.net/ourkingdom/jonathan-birdwell/ignore-islam4uk-don%E2%80%99t-ban-them

Is it art or is it pr0n? Australia decides it's ALL filth

,----[ Quote ]
| Australian painters and photographers may
| soon need to watch their step, as an
| overhaul of child pornography laws in New
| South Wales looks set to remove the defence
| of "artistic merit" from the statute books.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/01/12/australia_child_art_controversy/

Recent:

Why Nominet disconnected 1,000 sites with no court oversight

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/01/08/nominet_disconnection/