[News] Patent wars Come Out of Inability to Compete, Microsoft a Culprit Too

  • Subject: [News] Patent wars Come Out of Inability to Compete, Microsoft a Culprit Too
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 22:13:54 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Japan tech needs M&A but patent war more likely

,----[ Quote ]
| To regain their competitive edge, Japanese
| electronics makers should be looking to
| mergers and acquisitions, cost cuts and
| other moves to boost their market share
| abroad, according to government officials,
| investors and bankers. But veteran
| executives tend to be resistant to change,
| and the many factions found in Japanese
| conglomerates often slow decision making
| because of the value placed on consensus
| building.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE60907920100110

Microsoft puts DRM in P2P

,----[ Quote ]
| Trust Microsoft to try to make money out of an
| oxymoron. Because thatâs what putting DRM in
| the same sentence as P2P amounts to.
|
| Steve and the Boyz reckon theyâve found a way
| to use DRM on P2P networks to distribute
| commercial media online.
`----

http://www.p2pnet.net/story/33677

"What we're seeing though now can be loosely described as patent terrorism,
where people are using their patent horde as a threat [...] It's almost like a
cold war stand over tactic; where I have these patents and if you breach these
patents, I'm going to come after you and sue you."

        --James Eagleton, systems product manager for Sun Microsystems

Recent:

Red Hat, Alcatel-Lucent join forces on unified comms

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39336497,00.htm